PCI Extension Outside the Case?

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
Anyone heard of such a thing as an external PCI slot extender of sorts (allowing external PCI card insertion, outside of the PC case). Here is why I ask............

Our corporate IT department has gone to Dell for the supplier of our PC's. I support our engineering test department and many of our test systems have internal standard form factor PCI cards (fiber optic, GPIB, specialized sound analyzer cards, etc). Well, the new Dells only handle the small form factor PCI cards........the standard size won't allow you to even close the lid.

I have investigated converting to the smaller form factor but a lot of the PCI cards we use are not available in this size.

I would like to be able to extend the PCI slots outside the case and then plug the cards into some sort of external box that then plugs into the PC. Either some sort of USB connection and/or just extending the existing PCI slot outside of the PC case.

Ever heard of such a critter?

Thanks.......

Well, if I was you I'd tell your IT department to be more careful next time they purchase computers. Only way its gonna work in that case is to not close it (not the best option), gut that case and put it in a standard atx case (pretty cost effective but voids warranty probably), or get different computers for the people that need them so they can do they're work. Best of luck to you, hope you get it sorted out.

No, not possible, because USB and PCI use different types of signals and data frequency, meaning they cannot interconnect, or communicate directly with each other.

So, no, afraid not. You need to be careful when buying computers, you need to check the type of PCI etc for future upgrades.

i wonder if this would be posible , it would be a hard do it your self mod , get one of theese pci risershis , http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=410 , then solder wire to the connector at the bottom, then run this wire into the pci slot on the mobo or contruct some type of connector to the pci slot on the mobo , would be a lot of work tho and may not even work

i would get in touch with dell and explain what has happened , if you are a significant enough customer to them they should sort something out

you could cut a small hole in the case to allow the rest of the bracket go outside the cases.

you could also just buy cheapo cases from newegg or someplace and switch the parts

Thanks for suggestions..........

All of our Dell PC's are leased (30 months) so any modifications to the MB or case is out of the question. Our IT is used to purchasing computers for the office crowd not Engineering test users that's why they never contacted us first to see how we are using them.
Our old IBM chassis had the PCI cards laying horizontally so that worked great and fit nicely.
I like Joxley's suggestion as it allows the cards to lay horizontally like the IBM's did..........I'll have to check out the horizontal space available on Monday.

I didn't think a USB conversion would work but just extending the PCI slot should.

Any other suggestions appreciated..............thanks.

Back
Top Bottom