CPU usage at 100%?

RKeaton

Baseband Member
Hey guys

Dunno much about computers...:D

I have a one year-old PC with a dual-core Athlon processor, 2 gigs of RAM and running XP. It's always been pretty fast and dependable. I guess I got hit with spyware or something, I don't know, but recently my system has slowed to a halt. I opened my task manager today and looked at the Performance tab, it showed my cpu usage was hovering right around 98-100%. I guess that it explains why it takes forever to do anything, even open a browser window.

Lately I've been booting it up in Safe Mode just to be able to use the thing. It works fast and fine in Safe Mode but I guess I can't use all devices/programs, etc. I noticed I have no sound, for example. I've run a few different spyware programs several times (spybot, avast, adaware). They found and deleted some infected files but that hasn't fixed the problem.

So I have basically no idea what to do. :confused: Can anybody help?

Thanks...

Rob

Open task manager and look in the processes tab. What processes are high?

When you say "high" do you mean which ones are using the most memory? I will have to reboot in normal mode to check that. I do know that there are about 55-60 processes running. That seems high to me (I don't really have any idea what processes are though :). But I'm pretty sure there were that many running even in the past when the computer worked fine.

If you look in the CPU column for the highest number there, ignore system idle process if thats high.

Try security task manager, it'll tell you if the process is good or bad, or just badly written.

Back
Top Bottom