Just built desktop PC won't turn on! Help please..

are you plugging your power sw, reset sw, hdd lines in correctly into their respective places on the motherboard? If you're positive they're in the right places ... could the wires be in backwards? i.e. green/white instead of white/green
When attempting to power on ... looking at the motherboard ... is your CPU fan turning on? LED's coming on?

I'd take everything out and just have the motherboard in with the cpu and a stick of memory ... not even a video card. Just see if you get the cpu fan powered on and some LED lights. If you do ... then add the video card and watch for a BIOS post. Then continue adding until you're loading your O.S.

ac'97? That sound card related?

I did that, just left the motherboard with the cpu and the memory. The light on the motherboard turned on when I turned on the swith on the psu.. The cpu fan didn't go on though!

woa..it worked now..the case and cpu fan are on as well as the screen. Can I set up BIOS before reconnecting the rest of the devices or do I have to connect them first?

Go ahead and add the hard drive and at least one dvd/cdrom drive as well. Just one hard drive to begin with ... no sense in confusing the issue by having them all plugged in if you're installing multiple hard drives. Once you have everything seemingly working, OS installed, then plug in your additional drives and use Computer Management to enable and format the other hard drives.

Back
Top Bottom