" USB device over current status detected" ??

crgrjj

Baseband Member
WHen trying to install windows it would say " USB device over current status detected" system will shut down in 15 seconds

what does that mean?

are you trying to install windows to a external HDD

No, just trying to install it in my system, I just finished building it. Now that I remove all usb plugs from mobo it hasn t turned off

Should I do bios before installing Windows?
Thanks!

Is it an Asus mobo by any chance? If so then its possibly the BIOS version, if you have the latest BIOS installed then try the previous one, and if you have an older one then try the newer one. :)

It is..I installed windows Xp before doing the BIOS..any problem with that?

It looks like your USB devices are drawing too much current. I'd suggest to try removing all USB devices and install Windows. Then, plug them back in. It could be an overdraw, TBH.

I removed the front usb wires and left the back ones. It worked fine after that. But then I connected the front ones as I installed Windows and now looks like the back ones don't work. What's up with that? I'm using the mouse to install the mobo components..Thanks for the help guys

Sounds more and more like you have an unstable BIOS ... from what I saw on that board at ASUS (see link I provided above) ... there's only one BIOS listed. It may be an update, or the original that comes with the motherboard. Confirm the version that is currently running on your mobo, then back it up using ASUS's BIOS utility. Then try installing the (newer) BIOS version. If the version already on your motherboard is in fact the same listed on ASUS's site ... then I would still backup your current BIOS and reinstall with the downloaded file.
If you have trouble figuring out how to back up your BIOS ... the utility should ask you if you want to back up your current BIOS before installing the newer version at some point during the installation.

Back
Top Bottom