Bootmgr is missing!

xMC91x

Solid State Member
I've searched for this topic and a few came up but it didn't help me. My brother completely messed up the C drive and formatted everything. All of vista is gone and I can't access my computer. When I try to boot from the XP disc, it should have showed a 'press a key to continue' or something like that but it didn't. It skips that part and tells me that bootmgr is missing.

The only thing I have left in the HDD is my D drive with some games on it. How can I fix this?

Check in your BIOS and make sure you have you CD drive 1st in boot.

IF you can get the XP disk to load, start the repair utility (it should be marked on the screen, I dont remember what button it is) then type "fixmbr" with out the quotes.

Yeah, its first to boot.

Like I said, it's supposed to show 'press a key to boot from CD', something like that. But it shows 'press ctrl + alt + delete to restart', making a loop.

dnt mean to point out the obvious are you sure its a bootable xp disk ??

if its just the upgrade version i dnt think it is

and it its a illegal copy then it might not be

Yeah, its the upgrade version. Is it possible to boot with ME or something like that?

Do you have a recovery console on the computer in the other drive perhaps, the only otherway i can think of is to get hold of a vista disc and then you can install the full version

How can I access the D drive when the bootmgr keeps showing up?

I think I would be able to get a vista disc from a friend but wouldn't I need a serial number?

you might have to ring up Microsoft here as i have no idea how to get it to boot up the xp disc after a vista upgrade , Ive never used that option Ive always used the complete install option. I cant really help you mate sorry, I have googled around but nothing mentioned bootmgr missing error and trying to reinstall xp after they all relate to inserting the VISTA DVD

Back
Top Bottom