Yet another Service Pack 2 Issue

Zachary21

Beta member
Hey guys. Here's my story.

I had Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 not too long ago. Everything worked fine. Then I got a bunch of virus and decided to re-install windows. The disk that I used was XP Home Edition (downgrade--I know). Everything looked good. Then I tried to download SP2. When I did, I get just passed the Windows Splash Screen, then nothing--blank. In fact, the monitor would even power down. This is my issue.

I can't do a system recovery because there's no restore point yet. I just installed this OS. I know it's not a BIOS issue because SP2 worked before. Any suggestions?

Once again, I'm running XP Pro (again, because the Home Edition crapped out on me) and it automatically comes with SP2. I get stuck just past the Windows XP Splash Screen. However, I can boot in Safemode (which is what I'm typing in now), but not in Normal mode. The Log-in screen doesn't even come up. Just a blank screen. Then my monitor powers down and everything. *sigh*

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm tired of this issue and would like my computer back. Thanks!

-Zach

Actually, the SP2 is universal. It will install the files upon the config.

It looks like you've downloaded a corrupted copy. I had that thing too, and the best thing is to reinstall.

Yes, it's annoying. I know how you feel.

I think its a driver issue, probably graphics. Like you said your having no problems in safemode (uses a standard VGA driver) but when you try and boot normally you get a black screen. Have you installed the latest drivers? If not then do that from safemode, also check device manager from safemode for problems

Yes! I think you're on to something with the driver deal. After all, no drivers are automatically installed after a fresh re-install of the OS. I'm gonna try downloading my ATI Video Driver and see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

-Zachary

Yes! I think you're on to something with the driver deal. After all, no drivers are automatically installed after a fresh re-install of the OS. I'm gonna try downloading my ATI Video Driver and see if that does the trick. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

-Zachary
No probs, let us know how it goes :)

Well.. it was a display driver issue. And I am now in Normal Mode and everything looks good... BUT.. I can't run any games. BECAUSE.. my regular ATI Driver is not installed.. BECAUSE I can't install it.. BECAUSE when I try to install it.. it says "Cannot Install. Missing INF file. Try installing a standard VGA driver first."

So I checked my display drivers, and it says that I have two ATI Radeon 9600 Driver's installed (they were automatically there with the new install of XP Pro). One says ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series and ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series Secondary. But they're not functioning. I've tried un-intalling and re-installing. But the same issue occurs. I've tried uninstalling them, but they just come right back when my computer detects new hardware. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

-Zach

Have you got any other problems in device manager, have you installed your mobo drivers etc?

Im a bit confused here, you say that your ATI driver isnt installed, but then your saying that you have 2 ATI drivers installed, can you explain what you mean.

Also, try updating windows.

Sorry for not being clear. I have two ATI Drivers currently installed. However, they aren't functioning properly, because I can't run any games at all. And I had this same issue before. I tried to download an ATI Driver that *I KNOW* works, but it says it can't install because it didn't detect any Video Driver and that I should try installing a standard VGA driver first. so.*shrug* And no, there aren't any more errors in Device Manager at the moment.

I'll try downloading the Omega Driver and see if that does anything. Thanks again.

-Zachary

Back
Top Bottom