Schools invasion of Privacy

BGates14

In Runtime
I don't know about the schools where you guys live but the one I go to has been digging pretty deep to try to figure out what goes on outside school, and some are even taking it way too far. We have pretty much a normal high school, with the regular drinking and drug use problems with a lot of people. Recently the school has been trying to take action on what we do outside of school.

At most parties and get togethers girls and other people take pictures, and then they put them up on facebook and the internet to show their friends. The school just found this out pretty much, so they scrambled up every single picture they found on facebook of people drinking, blurred out faces and made a slideshow to show high school orientations and back to school nights. Yeah, they put them up online so they should expect that to happen, but isn't that violating privacy and taking it way too far?

We've also had a few other online problems, with people who have made fun of others through chat or websites and the parents complain to the school and the school threatens to do stuff about it, can they even do that?

It sounds pretty stupid that they are able to punish or take charge of something that happens outside of school when you're in your own house. It's like me making my own website and paying for it and have a forum or something that talks about school, and if we have a topic about lets just say talking about something everyone thought was stupid in school and they tell you that you have to take it down or you're going to be punished / suspended. What are your guys opinions on all this?

I think it's stupid. Why should schools control what goes on outside of school? it's not our fault they're all under funded. I do understand about fights, but parties and stuff? no way. Teens will party, and they will sometimes do stupid stuff that's just the way it is and has been for ages. I'm personally not one to go to parties and all that, but if something happens at a party then the school should NOT be able to do anything about it, unless the school was involved in some way such as vandalism or something. If it has no regards to the school why bother?

My school didn't like my myspace...

They can go $%$^ themselves and I believe what they are doing goes far and beyond what a school should be doing.

I also have a nice idea how to fix the problem of school principals that everyone seems to like (Talked to alot of teachers about it). I'll post about it later.

That is taking it a bit too far. Our IT woman said that some colleges actually look at your MySpace or Facebook to see what kind of person you are. They don't take pictures or take things from the site, but they just view it to get a small preview.

Yeah I've heard that, but our high school actually takes the pictures and uses them against us. I forgot to write this one incident.

A girl was running for class president or student council or something and the person who was running against her was someone who doesn't drink or do anything wrong, and she went on the other girls facebook and printed out pictures of her and then showed them to the principal to pretty much make sure she wasnt elected.

Yeah that has happened to a few of my friends. Last year me and a few buddies of mine were living in the dorms and we decided to drink ( no alcohol in the dorms) well how often do college students listen to that sh*t (never) well my roommate decided to take a few pics and he posted them on his myspace well go and behold a RA was searching threw myspace to add people that were living in the dorms and she saw the pic of us drinking and then prosecuted us , had to talk to the dean of students and everything. i mean common don't people have better things to do , our punishment was 20 hours of community service, had to take a online drinking class and were put on dorm probation, it was bs

for people in HS drinking is illegal PERIOD. i dont care if teens are teens it still dosent make it right. if your dumb enough to post pics of you drinking for everyone of your "friends"(if your myspace is private) to see you deserve to be punished. and why add someone to your friends if they have potential of getting you in trouble. there is a HUGE! underage drinking problem and one thing that connects most underage drinkers is school. seems logical IMO for the schools to be on the lookout for people drinking under 21. also there are thousands of drunk drivers under the age of 21 THATS why schools are using things like facebook and myspace to see if your drinking. one day you might just kill someone. you might so no ill never drink and drive but thats what the other guy said. hell i cant wait to drink but im not going to go overboard with underage drinking because i also cant wait till i can drive. i have drinking in my genes im mostly Irish and Finnish lol i can take a couple of drinks more than some people but that dosent give me the right right to drink. its just not worth it to get caught

Invasion of privacy?!?!?! YOU POST IT ON THE INTERNET!!! BILLIONS! of people can access the internet. its your choice to put up so if you do then people can see it. im surprised parents havent started looking at there kids myspace. i wouldnt care too much about what his friends are like but drinking, smoking and drugs would be over the limit.

this is like speeding on the highway and complaining about officers enforcing it. simply put

That is taking it a bit too far. Our IT woman said that some colleges actually look at your MySpace or Facebook to see what kind of person you are. They don't take pictures or take things from the site, but they just view it to get a small preview.

that is taking it too far IMO

tbh, if that happened to me while I was at school id be extemly pissed haha.I started drinking at the age of 12 with a group of friends, but we were responisble if that is possible ;p and I would never drink and drive etc.

the schools arei just taking it too far , i moean say there parentts say it is ok for them to be drinking and going to parties , then what , the school cant do anything , it looks like the school is trying to take on the role of the parents as well , yet the schools responsability to care for its students ends at the gate's when you leave , what you get up to outside school is your parents responsability

muz it is ILLEGAL to drink underage just because your parents said you could dosent make it legal.

maybe there is no such law where you live but i know there is in the US and Canada

Back
Top Bottom