Is Vista really bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela22

Solid State Member
I have been listening to many views on Vista, including good and bad, but here are some important facts on Vista that everyone should know,

Windows Vista includes an array of “features” that you don't want. These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure. They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will cause technical support problems. They may even require you to upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software. And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM) features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment industry—And you don't get to refuse them

DRM gives power to Microsoft and the entertainment industry, here is why

1. They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer
2. They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment
3. They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and, of course, pay for the privilege)
4. They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files

and here is something more to add to it,
DRM is enforced by technological barriers. You try to do something, and your computer tells you that you can't. To make this effective, your computer has to be constantly monitoring what you are doing. This constant monitoring uses computing power and memory, and is a large part of the reason why Microsoft is telling you that you have to buy new and more powerful hardware in order to run Vista. They want you to buy new hardware not because you need it, but because your computer needs it in order to be more effective at restricting what you do.

What do you think about this ?

Pamela.

I think most computer hackers, programmers, and etc. who actually use Windows because some features weren't/aren't available in Linux will continue to use XP, because many things haven't taken the shift toward Vista. I will continue to use XP until more things shift toward Vista. The industry has forced a shift toward Vista, but many people will be hesitant to make the move. However, there will be a demand, so people will eventually be supplying.

The interesting thing, however, is that throughout the ages, people who often demand will also make the supply.

well i dunno about all of themthings you brought up to be honest
i am using windows vista ultimate lite at the mement whichis a stripped down version of windows vista ultimate , it looks and feels like vista ultimate but it isnt as resource intensive as vista and it is running fine on the specs in my sig but this is actually illegal so if i where to stay legal i wouldnt choose vista because if you look at the specifacations in my sig again they wouldnt run vista as smoothly as they runxp so that is my only problem with vista is that my hardware cant run it which isnt microsofts fault neither is the driver issues . i think after vista sp1 if micrososft streamline vista a bit then may upgrade my desktop and get a legal version

@windex love the avatar :D

if only they made the home basic edition a bit better, in terms of running damn fast on older computers so users would atleast choose that over xp, but they didnt.
as for vista in general i think it will take time for everyone to upgrade their hardware and then finally make the move. i still think it uses a lot of resources but in a few years when we all have new hardware i wont be as bad. im sure xp had these problems when it was first released.
im also using vista ultimate lite (well im on xp atm) and im getting used to it slowly. i just keep getting mixed feelings about vista due to bad things i hear about it, some things not working on my pc, etc.
when sp1 comes out, more drivers are available and we have upgraded out hardware it will be a different story. as for what microsoft have planned im not sure. as long as utorrnet works im happy

DRM is not like that. It's a file protection. You aren't forced to do anything at any time. If I find Microsoft looting in my PC, I sue them for privacy intrusion and I will seek for the entire closure of the company.

Vista isn't bad. It takes resources, but it's the same thing as XP. I remembered the people with their 64MB RAM PCs. OMG.

At the moment, I'm typing from Kubuntu. However, I'm going to boot back into XP, because it offers some programs which are not yet available in Vista and would take me a long time to configure in Kubuntu. I use these programs for scientific and academic work, which means they are very important to me.

I suppose I could use some new things that came toward various version of Linux last year, but I'll have to mess with them. But to say the least, it took a long time for certain programs to be available for Linux. I'm sure just about anything could be available if a person were to supply for his or her own demand, but such a thing is very time consuming.

Complete pap, DRM isnt as restrictive as some people will have you believe, thats what the vista haters want you to think.:)

Quick question for the vista users here. How many of you have been affected by stuff in that post? Ive had no such problems. :)

1. They decide which programs you can and can't use on your computer
2. They decide which features of your computer or software you can use at any given moment
3. They force you to install new programs even when you don't want to (and, of course, pay for the privilege)
4. They restrict your access to certain programs and even to your own data files
Pamela.

I've used vista for awhile and I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. Here are my responses to the points you've brought up.
1. I don't think that's true. If it was, my limewire and utorrent software would be gone. Not to mention my DVD copying and decrypting software.
2. Not true, that would be an invasion of privacy as would #1. What "features" of my computer or software are they blocking? I've never had problems with any features on my computer or software.
3. I haven't once been forced to install new programs or pay for any. I've always had the option of installing or not installing a program or feature and when I click no it doesn't nag me to do so. There are tons of free programs you can get from the microsoft live site. I've picked up a few free games from there.
4. Once again, not true. I've had no problems accessing my data. This would also be an invasion of privacy. I guarantee you that if this was true, someone would be in trouble. I'd be interested to know how microsoft could pull off such a stunt as this.

As for DRM, I've heard it's not really much to worry about as it won't be around until something like 2009 and it's mainly for HD content. I don't even use HD stuff, I still use standard DVDs and CDs which I've had no problem copying either of which.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I just think those myths don't hold much water. I thought the same thing until I actually tried vista, now you couldn't pay me to go back to XP and all the flaws it still had 5 years later. Sure vista has some incompatibilities but once they're worked out, I think it will be the OS microsoft has needed since windows ME tanked.

Complete pap, DRM isnt as restrictive as some people will have you believe, thats what the vista haters want you to think.:)

Quick question for the vista users here. How many of you have been affected by stuff in that post? Ive had no such problems. :)
i havent been affected. i can see microsoft doing things like releasing updates to check for pirated copies of vista and stuff but they would never intrude someones privacy like that, as they would get sued.

vista does have some medium useful features like superfetch. a vista experience depends on how good ur harware is. core 2 duos will probably make ur life the easiest when paired with 2 gb ram. there are driver issues. u might be impressed with the looks and eye candy at first, but it wears down eventually. networking is very very...very crowded and messy? on vista. its not all simple like xp.
Windows%20Networking%20Is%20Too%20Confusing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom