network probs again :(

dude_se

Proper Legend
so on my laptop when on my own network i can see my desktop pc and connect to the printer and shared folders, and vice versa, but say if i connect to another network, eg my neighbours, random peoples, etc and i go to "view workgroup computers" it will usually show the workgroup name then say its not accessable. everything works fine on my mums network aswell so i dont see why it works fine on 2 networks just no other ones. any ideas?

uis your neighbours secured or maybe thay have some features secure

ive tried on my neighbours unsecure nework and wpa one (they have 2 linked together for some stupid reason). it all works fine on my desktop using a wireless adapter though. it just seems to happen on my laptop on random networks which is a pain

anyway to fix it?
i also have another problem. my desktop no longer connects to my neighbours unsecure or wpa router, mac filtering has nothing to do with it. it gets stuck on obtaining an ip address, in fact if i put the same adapter in my laptop it does the same thing. anyway its wierd how my desktop used to be able to see the workgroup computers when it had access to the network and my laptop cant. ive always had bad luck with setting up networks

as for that maybe your neigbour turned off dhcp on the router

but surely that would affect my desktop aswell?
it doesnt look like my neighbours are getting problems so its just me :(

but surely that would affect my desktop aswell?
it doesnt look like my neighbours are getting problems so its just me :(

because dhcp is the feature that assigns ip adresses automatically , if you have it turned off you have to manually assign everything on the network an ip soif your neighbour turned it off and gave all there computers ip's they wont have problems yet you will cos your wireless card is set to assign an ip adress automatically

im in the settings now and "use router as dhcp server" is enabled. everything else looks how it should be

Back
Top Bottom