Processor upgrade or RAM upgrade??¿¿

killthenakedcat

In Runtime
So theres this computer right...its pretty crappy...amd sempron 3400+ 512 mb RAM geforce 6150 LE graphics card and its used mostly for the internet and one game called COUNTERSTRIKE...it has ceased to work with counterstrike and has become very very very SLOW. Should I upgrade the cpu or the RAM. The cpu load is only usually about 5-25% without CS and 100% with CS running. Is it the processor or the RAM most likely?¿?

So theres this computer right...its pretty crappy...amd sempron 3400+ 512 mb RAM geforce 6150 LE graphics card and its used mostly for the internet and one game called COUNTERSTRIKE...it has ceased to work with counterstrike and has become very very very SLOW. Should I upgrade the cpu or the RAM. The cpu load is only usually about 5-25% without CS and 100% with CS running. Is it the processor or the RAM most likely?¿?
if it could run cs before i would optimise it like defrag and remove unwanted junk as that will make it better with cs
also post more specs like cpu socket type and other info like that

Sounds like you need to give that system a good cleaning and tune-up. Do a virus/spyware scan with a good scanner like Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. Then you can download CCleaner that you can use to clean out unnecessary files and clean up the registry. Then run a defrag on it. Also make sure there are no programs running in the background while playing CS. :D

Moved to a more appropriate area.

If you're Idling and still spikig to 25+% there is something going on there. Like said above run an anti-virus and anti-spyware scan.

Games will always put your CPU under full load, that's normal.

thats not true i have a cheap 1.9GHz dual core amd and it dosent come close to full load under some games and they are multi-threaded. i dont think i go above 60% cpu usage while playing COD2

I guess your right, I just looked around and CPU usage looks to vary on games and graphics cards. I think that the better the graphics card, the more the CPU will be used so it can keep up.

If it was working ok previously but not now, then its another issue causing the problem. Could be a virus, or bad houskeeping etc.

Back
Top Bottom