vista or xp

here are some things about windows vista that i have gatherd.

Windows vista, has cool new features and everything but many programs are not compatable if you brought anti-virus for xp it may not be compatable and you have to download lots of new drivers.

so you tell me, vote in the poll vista or xp?

I haven't noticed any AV issues with vista, the only AV programs I know of that don't work are zone alarm and bitdefender. Both are in beta and I believe are going to be supported in vista very shortly. All the games I ran in XP run fine in vista, some are a little bit more laggy but not too bad. I'm also not a huge gamer so I don't play any graphics intensive games.

As for driver issues, it depends on the hardware. If you're using old hardware you're going to have problems. If you have hardware that's decent you won't have issues.

vista tends to use up ALOT of ram for nothing

I disagree. I don't think it uses much more RAM than XP did. The only thing that uses RAM is the sidebar (roughly 17MB for me) and the desktop window manager in AERO. I typically don't use AERO so I don't notice any slowdown. Even when I use AERO, I didn't think it was too bad. I think that with the added features and as much as microsoft has changed the OS compared to XP they've done a good job.

lol you seem pretty pleased with the lite version :p
yeah , i half expected it to run very poor on my haardware , i expected any version of vista to run bad intact and so to get a version of vista to run very well is excellent
i am,now trying it on my laptop , just sorting out the partitions , i have given it an 8.45gb partition on my laptop so thets see how it handles that

vista tends to use up ALOT of ram for nothing

where is your proof?

I disagree. I don't think it uses much more RAM than XP did. The only thing that uses RAM is the sidebar (roughly 17MB for me) and the desktop window manager in AERO. I typically don't use AERO so I don't notice any slowdown. Even when I use AERO, I didn't think it was too bad. I think that with the added features and as much as microsoft has changed the OS compared to XP they've done a good job.

You've nailed it troy.

At work, we have to computers with vista on it in our service area so we can have some in front of us for service phone calls. Both have 512MB of ram. The only time the one wiht home premium (other is business) is ever idling above 350 MB of ram is when areo or the side bar are on. My XP idles using more than that.

The Windows Sidebar does take up a chunk of RAM. About 56% of my RAM is being used right now and I have 1GB.

ha i have lite and i have 512 and about 56% of mine is being used as well

Vista has crap support for fps games and moderated 3d commands

its not the games that it dosent support it is the graphics cards. as soon as all the proper drivers are out and not in beta Vista will be uber for gaming and not just because of DX10. Vista is much more efficient at handling programs request for threading because it uses much less cpu time

on my pc XP Home idles at around 30% ram usage outta 1GB

Back
Top Bottom