User Logon Scripts.

dickibobboy

In Runtime
Hello.

I am running windows server 2003. Nothing much is used on it yet. A couple of roaming profiles for the other 4pc's in the house and a shared directory for installation files and things.

For the users i would like to try and apply a logon script that will not allow the user to edit the desktop or change the wall paper. I have seen this in collages and public computer rooms. Nothing happens when you right click on the desktop or the taskbar. Not able to get into control panel or the Local Harddrive. Is there something i can do here to get this working. I am a total Noob tothis. All i know is i need to creat a bat file and put it in netlogon on the server.

Any help would be brilliant.

Manythanks

Adam

Hello.

I am running windows server 2003. Nothing much is used on it yet. A couple of roaming profiles for the other 4pc's in the house and a shared directory for installation files and things.

For the users i would like to try and apply a logon script that will not allow the user to edit the desktop or change the wall paper. I have seen this in collages and public computer rooms. Nothing happens when you right click on the desktop or the taskbar. Not able to get into control panel or the Local Harddrive. Is there something i can do here to get this working. I am a total Noob tothis. All i know is i need to creat a bat file and put it in netlogon on the server.

Any help would be brilliant.

Manythanks

Adam

adamddickinson at gmail dot com

This is mainly done in "group policys" now and not logon scripts. If you just google around for group policys to lock desktop, you should easily be able to find what you need.

if you are a total noob to server stuff like me then use "microsoft shared computer toolkit". it will apply your chosen restrictions to each account instead of running a login script. it will do the same job though.

Don't think that would work over server deployment would it?

Anyway.. go to Group Policy, Then User Configuration , then Desktop, open the Don't save settings at exit, then select Enabled, bam, done.

r00320020828pos0101py9.gif

r00320020828pos0102nd9.gif

Well. I set up dhcp and dns right on my server (was only using my routers dhcp)

Then i installed group policy management and created a OU and then made the changes to what i want for people in that group then added them.

The problem is. Where i have been before at librarys (users are all from one domain) they have the same kind of thing.. but.. i cannot add things to the desktop.

How have they achieved this?

I am also thinking about using folder redirection of the desktop and documents. At the mement i am using roaming profiles but these tend to be slow. I created a test account and it works loads better. Logons are faster and logoff's.

but.. I thought that folder redirection was 'real time' because it is a folder on the server where everything is saved. I also thought this because when i logged onto another pc at the same time and i removed something from mydocuments it removed it on the other pc where i was logged on.

Getting to the point. The folders for this are located

\\adserver\nonadmin or C:\nonadmin and permissions are allow everything to all.

The group policy made a folder for the username in there but i cannot seem to be able to get into it. I wanted to be able to add a shortcut to the users desktop or a file in my documents and it be there.

In the security tab i cannot edit anything so cannot add administrator.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

(sorry for spelling in a rush)

Adam

Back
Top Bottom