Bad comp troubles

shankles

Baseband Member
Hey,

basically i took apart my computer to clean dust ect was carefull ect ect and when i put it back together making sure i have wired everything up correctly i try to switch on the computer and the monitor doesnt get any signal and the processing fan stays at a certain speed which usually it doesn't when it starts up it goes fast and when it gets into the winxp load up it slows down.

I have tried 2 different gfxs cards and 2 different psu'S any help on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

depending on what you cleaned with, you might have shorted something on the mobo frying it... but we need to know what you used

Well what i did was:

-Take everything out as in i took my mobo out processor ect ect (The same way i did 2 weeks ago and it worked fine after that)
-Cleaned the CPU fan (which is broke;makes a screeching noise on start up -the reason i decided to clean everything)
-generally cleaned all dust
-took some of the thermal compound off the processor as it was all dried and not put on evenly-thankyou packard bell!
put everything back together carefully

Nothing seemed damaged or anything nothing happened like my friend fried a cpu before and it made a crackling sort of noise but noithing like that happened.

To clean the case (nothing was inside which was electrical)i just got the hoover and sucked out the dust)

for the GPU,motherboard everything else i used a cloth and just took of the dust. could that of caused it do you think?

Ok so i did all that and when i went to switch on my computer it did absolutely jack and i didnt have time to take everything apart again as i needed to go out so i left it until this morning which was when i took out the PSU and GPU and changed them to my stock one and it worked(By this it started up but didnt send a signal to the monitor or anything and i think it just stayed in a loop of doing nothing but having power on,so i then put my other gpu and psu back in and it did the same thing.

Since this happening i haven't reseatted the CPU or MB should i do this?

If i can't figure this out i guess i'll get a technician in but this is a fucking pain in the ass because i have just broken up form school and have free time with nothing to do as everyone is revising =(

Thanks.

Hmmm, a few problems here.

Did you replace the thermal compound that you removed?

Do you realise that hoovers contain loads of static, i know a few people who have damaged components using one. Also a cloth could have static.

Why did you take it to bits if you just done that a few weeks ago?

Because my CPU fan has been making screechy noises.

I haven't replaced the thermal compound yet but i didn't remove it all just the big blots of it which have dried out.

I think this is CPU/MB problem because i have used 2 different GPUs and the effect given off each one is the same..

Should i get a technician to take a look at it?

Thats your call mate, if you dont think you can sort it yourself then pay for a technician. Do you get a BIOS screen?

hmm didnt replace the thermal compound

not such a smart move

and as above do u get a bios flash screen ? if you do then its probably a driver issue if you do not then its likely a hardware issue although u said u tried diff cards did u try diff slot ?

the new fan speed is more than likely due to the fact that you have party/fully removed the thermal compound

I very much doubt its a driver issue, for 1 it isnt booting that far, and 2 its the same components so the problem would have been there before it was taken to bits.

Back
Top Bottom