Difference between addon and parked domains?

go-go

Banned
Can anybody explain the difference between addon, parked and pointered domains. I'm studying onthespothosting.net shared plans and can't make out if it's what is called multiple domain hosting or not?

Sub domain

* Lets say your domain is mysite.com.
* You install a Message Board and put in in a directory called mysite.com/board/.
* You can turn the directory board into a sub-domain by adding it as a sub-domain from your Control Panel.
* Now you can access your Message board as either mysite.com/board OR board.mysite.com
* This costs you nothing and is free.

Parked Domain

*You have two domains mysite.com and my-other-site.com.
mysite.com is the domain of your website and you want to add my-other-site.com.
*You want them both to go to the same place. In other words, when someone types either www.mysite.com or www.my-other-site.com they will go to the same page(s) on your website.
*In order to have additional parked domains you need to purchase the additional domain(s).
Register Parked domains here.

Add-On Domains

* You have two domains mysite.com and my-other-site.com.
* You want the two domains to be totally separate/independent websites.
* In order to have additional parked domains you need to purchase the additional domain(s).

Multiple domain hosting

This can be done on any server, you can have hundreds of domains on one server if you really want..

Hello. I haму looked through onthespothosting.net's shared web hosting pacages and I can say that they offer you 1 domain hosted multiply to 20 subdomains on their first package Primary and unlimited domains multiply to unlimited subdomains. So I can say that Onthespothosting.net probvides multiply domains hosting packages. (Btw nice prices there ;))

joxley1990, thanks a lot. You have explained everything very nice. As far as I understand Onthespothosting.net provides all these features.

Sub domain

* Lets say your domain is mysite.com.
* You install a Message Board and put in in a directory called mysite.com/board/.
* You can turn the directory board into a sub-domain by adding it as a sub-domain from your Control Panel.
* Now you can access your Message board as either mysite.com/board OR board.mysite.com
* This costs you nothing and is free.

Parked Domain

*You have two domains mysite.com and my-other-site.com.
mysite.com is the domain of your website and you want to add my-other-site.com.
*You want them both to go to the same place. In other words, when someone types either www.mysite.com or www.my-other-site.com they will go to the same page(s) on your website.
*In order to have additional parked domains you need to purchase the additional domain(s).
Register Parked domains here.

Add-On Domains

* You have two domains mysite.com and my-other-site.com.
* You want the two domains to be totally separate/independent websites.
* In order to have additional parked domains you need to purchase the additional domain(s).

Multiple domain hosting

This can be done on any server, you can have hundreds of domains on one server if you really want..

Thanks for the explanation, so if in the mentioned onthespothosting.com plan there's just 1 addon domain in the primary, this plan can't be multiple hosting?
Also not quite clear how by adding $2 and buying advanced plan, you leap to hosting unlimited number of domains? Is this logical? Or a marketing gimmick?

Thanks for the explanation, so if in the mentioned onthespothosting.com plan there's just 1 addon domain in the primary, this plan can't be multiple hosting?
Also not quite clear how by adding $2 and buying advanced plan, you leap to hosting unlimited number of domains? Is this logical? Or a marketing gimmick?

No, it can't unless you buy other domains from other companies, or separate domains from them, and point them to your website/server ip address.

And no, not a marketing gimmick, if everyone paid that extra $2, and they have 1000 customers, it's an extra $2000 dollars, for services and resources they already have, just another profit scheme, not a scam of any sort. Always read the small print though!

No, it can't unless you buy other domains from other companies, or separate domains from them, and point them to your website/server ip address.

But it's not that onthespothosting.net provides one FREE domain, it's just one ADDON...:confused:

Number of domains on onthespothosting.net's frst package is 1. (And it doesn't metter what kind of domain are you going have hosted there)
Pay extra $2 and you will get unlimited domains.

So if on the first package onthespothosting.net offers 1 domain and if I want to increase number of domains there I must pay extra $2? Right?
Their offers look attractive for me.

Back
Top Bottom