Old Processors

ericent

Solid State Member
Which is faster an Intel Pentium 4-m with 2.2GHz or an Intel Pentium M with 1.73GHz?

Erm well pentium M is just a more modern p4-m optiised for battery life and so you cant fairly compare them cos the p4 will prolly be more powerfull yet the P-M will use lots lesss battery

my pentium M has a 2mb l2 cache and runs pretty quick , i am going to benchmark it against my desktop 2.8ghz pentium 4

another thing to note the pentium M usually is part of the centrino platform so is built for better battery life

Which is faster an Intel Pentium 4-m with 2.2GHz or an Intel Pentium M with 1.73GHz?

Depends what you're looking for. Since they're both mobile processors, I'm guessing you're looking for performance per watt, in which the Pentium M would be more suitable. The Pentium 4-M might outmuscle it, but it consumes way more power. The Pentium M was designed to give great performance while managing power efficiently, something very important when it comes to notebooks.

another thing to note the pentium M usually is part of the centrino platform so is built for better battery life

Perhaps you misunderstand the Centrino platform. The Pentium M itself is already built for better battery life, but the whole Centrino platform consists of the CPU, chipset and wireless networking chip. All of which are made by Intel. The whole idea is to create a platform that is designed specifically for good performance without sacrificing battery life as compared to using discrete parts for each component.

ummm....as far as i can remember...the yonahs and dothans beat out the pentium 4s...

Banias are the first-gen. Those has lesser cache.

The Dothan core would be probably beating it due to the cache. If you get a 2.4GHZ, it will outperform the P4 any time.

The Yonahs can run off S479 or S478 with upgrades. The Asus Intel chipset series will work with Core Duos, but not mine. It might work on the laptop he has, if it contains a socket. If he gets a Pentium M based, he can upgrade, if he has the right chipset models.

Banias are the first-gen. Those has lesser cache.

The Dothan core would be probably beating it due to the cache. If you get a 2.4GHZ, it will outperform the P4 any time.

The Yonahs can run off S479 or S478 with upgrades. The Asus Intel chipset series will work with Core Duos, but not mine. It might work on the laptop he has, if it contains a socket. If he gets a Pentium M based, he can upgrade, if he has the right chipset models.
yeah the dothan core has 2MB lev 2 cache or at least thats what mine has ,
also as for upgrading , my laptop has a socket 479 mpga and so can take either a celeron M a p4 M or a P-M but you have to check what your cooler can take otherwise there may be heat problems which could be fatal in a laptop

Depends what you're looking for. Since they're both mobile processors, I'm guessing you're looking for performance per watt, in which the Pentium M would be more suitable. The Pentium 4-M might outmuscle it, but it consumes way more power. The Pentium M was designed to give great performance while managing power efficiently, something very important when it comes to notebooks.

Yeah yeah i understand the centrino platform , chipset-wireless card-processor . my laptop had the centrino trio but then i believe the wireless card must have broken and so the user who had it before me replaced the wi-fi card with a non centrino one and so now it isnt true centrino
any way many people confuse the pentium M for the intel centrino processor which dosent actually exist

Back
Top Bottom