Using my dell xp pro in new build

mrjetskey

Baseband Member
How do I use my xp pro in a new system with no OS.I knew that with 98se there was no problems ,someone told me that there is a file in winxp that you have to change or delete to be able to use it in a new system,I dont care if the old one is still operating or not,can I use the dell utility to set OS up like it came from factory ,(i have done this once B4) to clean out everything from puter and start over,basicaly re-format .then just swap the HD. into my new system?Or any other way possible so I can still get the win updates and keep it legal. Many thanks Marvin! Also when I use WMM to make a movie and I get to the save step I am able to save it to myhd. with no problem,however when it says burn to cd option in moviemaker it says no recording device found,when I burn dvds,cds and many other projects,I have no problem only with the windows movie maker burning it to cd directly just wont recognize drive,any ideas?thanks

Not sure about dell, but alot of other computer manufacturers tie the CD into the BIOS etc so it probably wont work. Even if it does, it wont be legal.

So I couldnt even just swap out my mobo,and CPU.I thought if you owned a copy of windows it was legal to retire it from one computer and install it in another,I have seen the dell OS. cds for sale on ebay,since I have the cd when I bought the computer ,if I just junk this computer I cant use the OS.I bought when I bought the computer in a different one.Or I have to buy a new OS. everytime I decide to upgrade my MOBO.What if I use this computer and just upgrade mobo and cpu?can I just leave the same hd with os installed ,I really want to upgrade from my p-630 to a core 2,but this mobo is intel 925 in my dell 8400,If it is possible would someone just outline the bare min. I would need to do?THanks Again Marvin

OEM tends to be linked to one machine, its standard discs that can be changed.

Thanks for the quick reply,I should have bought xp pro upgrade separetly instead of on my dell,I just got such a good price at the time I bought it under their outrageous deals that I paid 699.00 the month the 630 series came out,with a gig of 533 ram,80g hdd,and 19"ultrasharp mon .back when just the mon. was 400.00 so I could not pass it up,in fact when I went back to get another for my dad they had already sold the 5,000 that was limited.Now ,it isnt that good a deal,but at the time I could not pass it up.Marvin

Back
Top Bottom