Free defense programs

novahifi

Baseband Member
I was wondering if I am correct in thinking that you need one real time defense program from each of the three following categories:

1) Antivirus
2) Antispyware
3)Firewall

I suppose you couldn't eg use Winpatrol AND Spybot Teatimer concurrently so as to have double effect?

I have quite an arsenal of free scanning tools. One of them, Superantispyware seemed to be behaving strangely when I last used it, it kept wanting to scan drive d even though I had specified that it should only scan the c drive :confused:

yeah it would be good to have a program for all of those.
And usually you can have multiple anti-spyware programs without any conflicts, but most anti-virus programs don't like it if there is another one installed.

So eg Winpatrol, Teatimer AND Windows Defender (complete crud as the latter is) do not conflict when their real time protection is used together? So that they are all guarding round the clock concurrently?

So eg Winpatrol, Teatimer AND Windows Defender (complete crud as the latter is) do not conflict when their real time protection is used together? So that they are all guarding round the clock concurrently?

yeah they should all be able to work at the same time. Not sure though since I have only used tea timer out of those 3, but they should give you some kind of errors etc if they can't work correctly. But most of the time anti-spyware programs don't conflict with others.

yeah while your there you 'may' want to get yourself some decent 'live' anti adware not essential but it protects you from little annoying things that spyware dont pick up because they are not a threat just annoying

personally i love Ad-Aware

Is it normal for the teatimer warning panel to have buttons that are almost invisible? I guessed which one was which arbitrarily and got it right, but isn't the GUI supposed to have a clearly marked allow and deny button? Have I got the right Spybot Search and Destroy?

yeah while your there you 'may' want to get yourself some decent 'live' anti adware not essential but it protects you from little annoying things that spyware dont pick up because they are not a threat just annoying

personally i love Ad-Aware

I second that, the Ad-Aware, Nod32 combo does the trick for me...

of what ad-aware ??? they do a few versions i think the personal one is free but does not have live protection

look here for more details on which version is right for you

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php

the free version is good but i can almost gurantee if you scan twice a day you will get atleast 1 tracking cookie so i got the plus edition with live protection now i only scan once a week

Back
Top Bottom