Dell 966 All-in-one wireless printer not working

or bad usb cable ,
i had a problem with an old epson c440 , spent aagges tryin to fix it all in all twas just a faulty cable

Well, so today I tried the USB cable method on the laptop, it works fine. As far as setting up the laptop part of the network that works fine also it just stops as it's going from the laptop and through the PC to print. Still wont work using USB on the other computer (PC) either and I know the USB hub itself works, cause' I use my webcam and mp3 player on it (PC USB is 1.1 by the way, my laptop is USB 2.0) would that make a hell of a lot of difference?

Again, I appreciate any help.

Is it a powered hub that your using? Most printers use 500mA and an unpowered hub cant give that much.

By hub, I actually meant a USB port on the mobo, sorry. Typed it kind of fast.

Laptop has 6 USB 2.0 ports, all work fine for the printer,
PC has 4 USB 1.1 ports, none work for the printer.

Maybe it only supports USB 2.0 (though, I doubt that's what's happening, cause' it still works with somethings on USB 1.1).

Screenshot PC:
dellprintermonitorab9.jpg

Ive seen alot of problems like this corrected by using a powered hub, so if you can borrow one of somebody to test, it might be worth a try.

Okay people, I figured I'd let you know how things went...

After talking to a Dell tech support person again they told me to uninstall the drivers using the CD (I used control panel last time which worked fine) and that caused a BSOD... Though, the start menu has been gone for two weeks so something else must of caused it.

Couldn't even get into safe mode. After some messing about I finally got back into safe mode, and then normal mode... Saved all the family's stuff. Reformated the PC.

Once the PC was reformated the first thing I installed were the printer drivers, shared the printer with the PC and Laptop, now everything works fine. So I don't actually know why it wasn't printing on the PC in the first place. Never will know either. Set up is exactly how it was before the reformat.

You have to be aware that the Wireless printer and your laptop must use the same wireless mode. 802.11a/b/g/n, depending. If your laptop uses 802.11g, then I'd make sure the printer is set to the same thing.

Look at the settings of your printer. Make sure the printer itself is set to the same wireless mode than yours.

As far as I know, that's only if the printer has the wireless card installed. Which mine does not. The main drivers for the printer are on the PC and I've just added the printer to my laptop and shared it. When I print from my laptop, it goes through the PC and then prints. It wont print if the PC is turned off.

But yeah, anyway, everything works now. So it's all good.

Edit: On a different note... Anyone know if my Laptop would sypport RAID? According to the intel website with the i945pm chipset it does... But Everest says RAID is not supported... I guess I need a RAID controller.

Glad you got it sorted:)

On the RAID issue, your mobo will need to have a RAID controller to support it. You maybe able to setup software based RAID from disk management, but i cant confirm if that will work on a laptop. How are you gonna connect multiple HDDs to the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom