RAM question...

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I want to get a 1GB DDR 400 PC3200 stick for my desktop, and I have an extra 512MB DDR PC2100 stick. I could use the 512 stick for another system, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to stick it in with the 1GB stick as a mismatched pair. Would there be a bunch of problems with this? Right now it has the 512 stick and a 256 stick (both PC2100) in it and it lags when dropping down menus... Should I use those together for 1.5GB RAM and just buy a new stick for the other PC, or live with 1GB in that PC and use the 512 for the other system? I use the system mainly for video editing (with Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 7), but I like faster render times.

first off all the ram in a computer MUST run at the same speed so the new ddr400 would have to run at the old ram speeds for them to be both used

i suggest getting 2x512MB sticks so they can run dual channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211013

i have a pair just like these expect they are DDR2 800 5-5-18 right now i have them running at DDR2 866 4-4-4-12 :D i can also run them at
DDR2 1080 5-5-18.

A-Data the best price per performance out there. there better than corsair XMS2 overclock the same but cheaper :D
im sure the DDR400 series of A-Data is just as good

he shouldnt be a factor with RAM that isnt being overclocked if your willing to pay for corsair buy corsair they are more reputable

Ok, I'll probably just go with the Corsair then, it doesn't cost that much more anyway. It won't be overclocked. Should I get 2x 512MB sticks like you showed with the other brand or a single 1GB stick? Does it matter?

if you get 2 X 512 sticks they will run in dual channel but if it was my choice i would get 1 X 1 Gb stick i dnt think dual channel is that important i would just rather have 1.5Gb RAM

I'm just putting 1GB in it since the 512 would be mismatched to the kind I would be getting.

Is there anything that much better about dual channel?

Back
Top Bottom