Getting files from bad floppy

chougard

In Runtime
My teacher has some very important files saved on a floppy. The problem is she can not open the floppy. Every time it is put in a computer, Windows says the disk is not formated. On linux is simply does nothing. Is there any way that I can get the files from it? I hope that only a small part is messed up and that there is some program that can copy the rest of the floppy. I;ve been searching for this, but can't get the right keywords. Thank you if you can help me with this!

Try it on a different PC with a floppy drive, maybe an older one. I've seen sometimes floppies only work with selected floppy drives. If you try it on several different types of floppy drives to no avail it's probably bad...

I tried 4 computers. 2 of them told me to format. 1 did nothing (Linux one) and the 4th had a bad floppy drive that I need to fix before the end of the school year. If windows says it can't find the drive it is probably just a cable that fell out right?

Is there a way to check the floppy?

If the light on the drive is constantly on, the cable is flipped the wrong way. If no light comes on at all, the drive is dead or the cable is out.

I don't know of a way to check the floppy. The only thing I can tell you is to keep trying several more drives and see if something eventually works, if that still doesn't work, it's corrupted.

data recovery tools.

http://www.r-studio.com/

try the demo to make sure that it works and the files can be found...
then if the files are over the max size recoverable by the demo tell your teacher that they'll have to pay the £30 for the tools to do the job.

or use getdataback, you will need the FAT version for a floppy, not the NTFS.

Back
Top Bottom