Tired of XP's error message

buso23

Baseband Member
Hi,

I've got around 1000 images I want to back up on a dvd and I am trying to sort them out in separate folders but when I try to cut and then paste the image to the designated folder I always get this annoying message "Cannot move this image.It is being used by another person or program.Close any programs that might be using the file and try again"

I've closed all other programs except windows explorer in the task bar manager, I've tried restarting the system but nothing helps. The message keeps popping back.

Is there a workaround for this? I am really desperate as I feel this is the only way I can sort out my images the way I like.

Thanks in advance and regards from Macedonia, Ljupco

no the pic is not open. I just go the folder selct the images, cut and paste and then the error message pops up :(

Well, this is not concerning the message at all, but have you used the cd already? Is re-writable?

See if you can copy any one picture and paste it onto your desktop to see if it's the file itself. I doubt that the file is already in use and you probably will be able to copy the files to other locations. If that's the case then it's your CD that's bad.

Hope this helped

-Q

The DVD has nothing to do with the images. I am trying to sort the images from various folders into two folders that are to be written on the DVD and when I am trying to cut the images from other folders and then paste them to those two folders I get this message

what do you use to display your pics? if its not the pic and fax viewer in xp then maybe the program is open in the background...

I don't think the program itself would make much of a difference in this case, it's saying the file is in use so it's something stupid with the file its self.. So before you end everything on your taskmannager that's probably not the problem...and I really don't think your cd is the problem either :D.. maybe your computer is old timey and you need to unlock the files by pasteing them somewhere else? Perhaps they are encrypted? I don't think that if it's encrypted it would give you that problem either..

I don't know :D good luck!
gimme some feedback!

-q

I just managed to transfer them to a different folder by using ACDSee. I couldn't do that in windows explorer no matter what I tried.Guess something has gone wrong. All the files are O.K. Thanks all for your effort and regards from Macedonia, Ljupco

Wait a minute, you said DVD right? Windows XP cannot handle blank DVDs by itself. Have you tried using a burning utility like nero?

You could also have moved them in safemode, just so you know for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom