Need some Advice!

Ahyoka

Daemon Poster
Lately I've been saving up the money to build a computer myself. But my aunt and uncle used this guy who lives around here who builds them and he gave them a really good deal and i'm thinking of just using him instead. From what my aunt and uncle told me he built them a pc with some of the following specs.

3.0 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processer
1 gig of ram (the original build had 512mb of ram but my uncle is very good at haggling and the man added a gig of ram for 40 bucks)
80 gig hardrive
256 mb video card (pretty sure its a ATI)

My uncle traded him a old E-Machines desktop (900 mhz processor, 128 mb of ram, 20 gig hardrive) i used to have and $200.

the fellow was selling the build for $450 (without monitor). I'm going to check out my aunts and uncles PC and if it looks good i may use him, the only thing i want to change is use a Core 2 Duo processor and maybe add another gig of ram (and i thought of using Vista Home Premium as the OS insted of XP but i don't know if i should or not, what's yall's thoughts?)

any help would be appreceaited!:)

When did they buy that computer? If it was a while ago, then you got yourself a pretty good deal.

Well, I thin the Core 2 Duo and the extra gig would help. You can use Vista if you want, unless you plan to do some hardcore gaming.

Well, I thin the Core 2 Duo and the extra gig would help. You can use Vista if you want, unless you plan to do some hardcore gaming.

I'd be using it to play some games...but not online or anything (my connection sucks) but I'd mostly be using it for music/photos/videos and stuff. I thought Vista might be more of a Multimedia OS than XP. I'm running XP now and i like it alot so i wouldn't mind using it in the new build, I've never really heard weather or not Vista is worth using now (incompatibility issues, bugs etc) since it's still a new OS. What would y'all personally recommend?

Well, most of the driver issues have been solved with Vista, and a majority of the software is compatible. If you like Vista, go with it, the performance difference won't be tremendous.

Back
Top Bottom