I knew this day would come (could use some help)

vjgkam

Beta member
I have an IBM ThinkPad A31p that is my work laptop. The company is upgrading me to another laptop and I need to return this one.

Here's my dilemna: "technically" we're not supposed to visit the web, or download anything onto our computers. I've had this thing for over 5 years, and have been on the web numerous times and downloaded a number of things.

Hey- I'm a fantasy football and Penn State Nittany Lion junkie and needed my fixes, ok?

I've downloaded some music sharing software, Yahoo Messenger, and things like that. Nothing real complicated or illegal.
Can anyone tell me how to erase all of that stuff with no trace?

I went to add/delete programs and deleted Yahoo! messenger, but on startup I get a message saying a certain Yahoo file can't be found. I get the same thing for another program ( I think it is Rhapsody Music)

Also- will there be footprints of the web activity on the hard drive? If they see I've been hitting the web, I'll get a wrist slap but would prefer to remain unscathed. We have new leadership in the company and I want to remain a golden boy as long as I can:) If there is a way to erase web activity, I'd appreciate it.

Any help would be really appreciated

Haha, well, we should be able to help. First of all, remove all the programs you don't want on there anymore using Add/Remove Programs. Then download and run this program:
http://www.ccleaner.com/

That should kill any more unnecessary remains of that stuff.

hmm , the best way would be to do a full resotore of the laptop to return it to the state it was in when it came from the factory . Unless the it techs have had there paws on it before you there may not be a way to do this , when you first press the power button there is a cwertain key to press to ender the recovery system on my laptop it is F12 but it varies from company to company . this may not be the case , did you recievee any cd's with the laptop if so one may be a recovery cd

but you should run CCcleaner before you reformat, data may be erased, but it is recoverable untill something is writin over it, thats what the FBI uses and there are smaller programs that can trace similar to what they have..

You will have files of those programs still left over in the registry, you will have to get a registry cleaner of some description and run that, it should find the programs that are no longer used and give you the option to delete them.

You will have files of those programs still left over in the registry, you will have to get a registry cleaner of some description and run that, it should find the programs that are no longer used and give you the option to delete them.

If their tools are much better than that, then you need to format and reinstall Windows.

Here's how. You may want to try Maxtor PowerMax to format the HDD by writing zeros, to the full disk.

Then, format and reinstall Windows.

OK...

best advice, re-install windows!
and if the techs find out, tell them that it broke and you had to fix it.

speaking from the point of view of one of the techs.
we really don't care what you install. we build laptops for people here, people aren't meant to install new stuff, but everybody knows that everyone does.
and 9/10 that's not a problem.
the techs are just going to be glad that you were sensible with what you installed and didn't keep bothering them.

of course... if all else fails.
go speak to the tech, tell them upfront that you've been messing about, most IT types are decent enough people and they aren't going to go dropping you in the crap... besides which it's very likely that they are only going to format the machine anyway!

Back
Top Bottom