PCI and AGP

compjake

Baseband Member
I have a AGP 6600GT, I would like to add a PCI video card for a third monitor, problem is I've tried multiple cards and windows always reports "This device cannot started" after looking all over Google the only answer I found was "you cant use agp and pci at the same time" I know thats complete BS because ive done it before.. but why is it not working now? :confused::confused::confused:

The problem with today's thing is that:

The BIOS uses primary display adapter to AGP. That makes the card to be top priority, and the IRQs are bigly sucking. You could try 3-4 PCI cards

my bios is already set to use the AGP, if i chose PCI my screens stay blank, and theres no point in choosing PCI express since I don't have one of those installed. I've tried about 7 cards and all have the same result, thats why I'm asking for help

i think you have to set the default card as pci, this will make it boot from here, but once you log onto windows you can set the agp as primary, thats how i do it..

I've tried that and if you read my post you would notice "if i chose PCI my screens stay blank" so windows doesn't load, my screens all stay black and nothing happens until i remove the video card.

and thats with the monitor hooked up to the pci as well? what kind of cards do you have??

I finally fixed it, I have bios set to AGP for default witch is a GeForce 6600GT and my PCI is a 4Mb Matrox Graphics Millennium. one of these days when I get a GeForce 7950GT PCI Express I will have to get a 4th monitor :p

wait....you can do this??? wow i never knew that. i thought u had to sli 2 graphics cards to get more monitors than 1 graphics card offers....damn

Yeah, normally its easy to do but my computer was being a pain in the but this time. lol

Back
Top Bottom