Car Insurance

G35x

Golden Master
This one goes out for the people in the United States..

Well we all know how insurance is high as hell for young drivers, but my friends keep saying "My car is under my dads name, so its not that much"..Everyone keeps telling me just insure the car under your dads name, and then drive it, and nothing will happen..I'm sure this isn't legal, but I just want some details, because almost everyone I know says "ohh insurance isn't to high, its under my parents name"..So that means they're not on the insurance list, so can they legally drive the car? What if they get into accident then what?

Insure it under your parents name, under the shittiest car you own.

But you're still covered for the car that you will be driving.

Well everyone I know says that, including me. I'm the "secondary driver" on my Focus, which is supposed to mean I don't drive it as much or whatever. But I'm still covered. It's probably just something they allow you to do to feel better about it, in actuality they aren't really losing money on you.

its like this you will be covered under there name, and since there older the insurence will be cheaper alot!!! and so they pay extra for you to be under them but not no where as much as you would pay under your own name...i was paying 350 a month for ins!! i had a 2003 celica gts.....but it is legal. so good luck

here is where you stand, and what it's called.
(some parts of this may be UK specific, but I doubt it)

if your parents have a car then you want to drive it *sometimes* here is what you can do.

get your parents to add you as a named second driver on their policy
get your parents to add un-named second drivers to their policy (very expensive)
get comprehensive insurance on a real old banger so that it's really cheap, then the comprehensive insurance will let you drive Any car, (with owners permission) on a third party basis. (this would include your parents car)

if you have a car and you drive it each and every day then you are the main driver.
in that situation it's actually illegal to declare your parents as the main driver and you as a second driver, it's called fronting, and it's basically insurance fraud since you have to lie when filling in the forms saying that you won't be the principal driver.

http://www.fastquotes.co.uk/young-drivers.html
Named Driver on Parent's Insurance

It's possible to be a named driver on one of your parents insurance policies, but do be aware that if you have an accident their no claims bonus will be at risk. If your parents have a protected no claims bonus then this way of insuring young drivers is a good option, and enables the young driver to be on the road and gaining valuable experience. However, you won't start qualifying yourself for a no claims discount until you have insurance in your name, so in the long run this could actually cost more by delaying the start of your own no claims discount.
Insurance Mistakes

Do not be tempted to take out an insurance policy in an older person's name and have a young driver named on it. In the insurance industry this is known as fronting and mis-represents the risk on the policy. It is also tantamount to insurance fraud. Additionally, if the young driver ever needs to make a claim and is not specified as the main risk on the insurance policy, then the claim is liable for rejection by the insurance company.

My dad specifically wouldn't insure me as a second driver on his policy, and that actually worked out OK for me.

the insurance was pretty mental in the first year, (well over a grand) so there was a massive deposit and monthly payments in excess of £100. -and that was only third party!
but I had to ride that out.
I had a few crashes, but agreed to not get the insurance companies involved as they were minor, and it meant more to be able to hold onto a no claims bonus than it did to loose it, (cause I'd have paid more in the end).

within a couple of years I found that I was able to get insured on much bigger more valuable cars, comprehensively, (so essentially I could drive any car with the owners permission) for less than half the price of my first years 3rd party insurance on my own!

so best advice I think, (though it'll be a struggle)
talk to your parents, see what they can do to help you, you might find that you'll get a better deal going with the same insurance company as they do since multiple cars in one house often works out cheaper.
see if your parents will lend you money to get your own insurance rather than just asking to go on their policy.
assuming you're safe and sensible etc then when it gets to next year you'll have a years no claims bonus and you'll immediately notice the premium difference.
whilst your friends. well one day they are going to be too old to go on their parents policy. and then they are going to have to start paying big money cause they have no no-claims discounts...

I guess what I'm saying is it's better to suck it up now rather than delay the inevitable!

edit: - as well as fronting being illegal, if the insurance companies even suspect that you may be doing it they can, (and will) cancel your parents policy leaving them nu-insured.
http://money.guardian.co.uk/insurance_/motor/story/0,,1884126,00.html

D-Lew said:
It's probably just something they allow you to do to feel better about it, in actuality they aren't really losing money on you.
Fronting costs motor insurers as much as uninsured drivers - £600m a year or £30 for each insured motorist.

My insurance went up this year by over £100, I have 9 years protected no claims, but I can't get anything cheaper anywhere, & I've tried dozens.
The media tell us that the large rise is due to a huge increase in young drivers, also those of any age driving with a licence, insurance or both, plus there are now many EU drivers having accidents due mostly becaue they're driving on the other side of the road to what they were used to, & some don't understand our licencing & insurance systems, & are on the road sometimes without both, it is a mess!!!

My insurance actually went down this year lol. I get no claims bonus even though its with my mam. I had my driving test yesterday but failed because I went in the left lane to go straight on at a roundabout when it was a trick one and I had to be in the right, I only got 4 minors :( Oh well :p

My insurance actually went down this year lol. I get no claims bonus even though its with my mam. I had my driving test yesterday but failed because I went in the left lane to go straight on at a roundabout when it was a trick one and I had to be in the right, I only got 4 minors :( Oh well :p
Roundabouts are the cause of most failures, wasn't it a roundabout that gave you a failure last time, never mind, yo'll get there!!!:)
Don't try & explain roundabouts to our American members apparently they don't have them over there.

No, that was my first test. I dont get how we get taught to stay to the left to go straight on/ turn left, then do one on the right. 9 times out of 10 you dont usualy see the markings on the road untill you're on top of them especialy if its busy. I got a major for that and the fact a taxi flew across the roundabout n flew up my ass and I made him slow down because he was going fast. Oh well, better luck next time I hope :p

No, that was my first test. I dont get how we get taught to stay to the left to go straight on/ turn left, then do one on the right. 9 times out of 10 you dont usualy see the markings on the road untill you're on top of them especialy if its busy. I got a major for that and the fact a taxi flew across the roundabout n flew up my ass and I made him slow down because he was going fast. Oh well, better luck next time I hope :p
Um, I guess you're still having lessons, has it got a simulator, they can help sometimes, studying the latest highway code might help about positioning, is the roundabout the examiner takes you round, a busy one, with multi lanes?. when my wife & I went on holiday, I came across a lot of very big ones on route to Dorset, & I got blasted by car horns.....& my wife, yet I had passed my test years ago in 1975!!, & yes taxi's can be a pain.

Back
Top Bottom