I'm really sorry

I hate when this happens so many computer before have been suggested and so many new pc threads have been started by me...

What kind of GPU did you end up getting Nate? I didn't see it anywhere, but the 88GTS rocks.

Anyway, yeah, too bad you can't finance, but if you buy parts one at a time it's almost identical. Except you don't get instant gratification I guess. They aren't hard to build, with my ASUS board they have a giant section on setting up the PC before you boot, it went 100% smoothly on my first shot at it.

I'd say build your own PC for the following reasons:
1) no bloatware. Sure it's more convenient to go to bestbuy and buy one but then you have to deal with annoying sales people, and the computer comes loaded with a bunch of crapware you'll never use and games you'll probably never play.
2) better parts- you can get better deals on parts and they're higher quality than what manufacturers use in their computers.
3) customization- you can choose your own case, your own parts and basically make it YOUR own PC whether you add some neon lights or whatever.
4) upgrade options- building is better in the longrun because you can upgrade better. Manufacturers (not meaning to pick on anyone but... DELL is famous for this) make their computers so you can only upgrade the RAM, graphics card and that's about it since they use proprietary parts. If you build, you can always add stuff to it from newegg.com or wherever and not have to worry about whether it's compatible with dell or whatever.
5) support- who needs "tech support"? You've got a forum here with people who have far more knowledge than any tech support agent. Why spend 5 hours on the phone with "bob" in india while he asks you "is it plugged in?" "is it turned on?"

That's just how I see it. If you want to buy a pre made PC then go ahead, I personally regretted it and will build next time around so I don't have to deal with a manufacturer and their run arounds. Sure it might be a little bit cheaper to buy a pre built PC but I'd say fork out the extra few dollars and know that you're getting a quality computer by building it yourself.

1) no bloatware. Sure it's more convenient to go to bestbuy and buy one but then you have to deal with annoying sales people, and the computer comes loaded with a bunch of crapware you'll never use and games you'll probably never play.
2) better parts- you can get better deals on parts and they're higher quality than what manufacturers use in their computers.
3) customization- you can choose your own case, your own parts and basically make it YOUR own PC whether you add some neon lights or whatever.
4) upgrade options- building is better in the longrun because you can upgrade better. Manufacturers (not meaning to pick on anyone but... DELL is famous for this) make their computers so you can only upgrade the RAM, graphics card and that's about it since they use proprietary parts. If you build, you can always add stuff to it from newegg.com or wherever and not have to worry about whether it's compatible with dell or whatever.
5) support- who needs "tech support"? You've got a forum here with people who have far more knowledge than any tech support agent. Why spend 5 hours on the phone with "bob" in india while he asks you "is it plugged in?" "is it turned on?"

That's just how I see it. If you want to buy a pre made PC then go ahead, I personally regretted it and will build next time around so I don't have to deal with a manufacturer and their run arounds. Sure it might be a little bit cheaper to buy a pre built PC but I'd say fork out the extra few dollars and know that you're getting a quality computer by building it yourself.
most importantly it's always cheaper (in my experience) to build than it is to buy.

4,500 posts and you cant build your own pc?
May I point out that having posted a lot has nothing to do with being able to repair a PC, I have close on 8000 posts & I can't, I have a smattering of knowledge, but certainly not enough to do it myself, I get a local techie from a small repair shop costing me a £20 call-out charge each time, & it's well worth it, if I did it I'd probably make it worse!
This site is not only for techies, the guys here have been very helpful over the years & have helped me out umpteen times.

Nate, I STRONGLY suggest you to go to your local computer shop and build one from there. Look at their prices and then start modifying the stuff. Also, you can take extended warranty if your store offers. That means if your computer goes chicachicaboo, you can fix it there for free. You will NOT regret it :)

May I point out that having posted a lot has nothing to do with being able to repair a PC, I have close on 8000 posts & I can't, I have a smattering of knowledge, but certainly not enough to do it myself, I get a local techie from a small repair shop costing me a £20 call-out charge each time, & it's well worth it, if I did it I'd probably make it worse!
This site is not only for techies, the guys here have been very helpful over the years & have helped me out umpteen times.
I agree. There's no requirements of being a techy when you join. He's got knowledge, but not in building.

That, my friend, deserver 5 points of rep.

Back
Top Bottom