Putting Existing OS Files On Separate Partition

ToneZ1

Beta member
First I wanna know if this isi possible. I hear alot of stuff about installing a NEW Operating System to a new partition. That ain't my question. My question is HOW do you take your current Operating System (either the files, the boot files, system files or what have you) and put that on a separate partitional that is bootable or selectively bootable using third-party software. In this case, i'm dealing with Windows XP Professional. So what's the steps that I need to do to make this possible, please.

get a imaging software such as norton ghost, and then make an image of that partition, and then put it onto that other partition you want to boot from. it should work

umm i dont know exactly what you want but if you have an xp disk cnt u just make a new partition and install a fresh copy of xp on there and then all system files will be on the new partition ???

i think just a fresh copy like ssc said, cause copying will screw up your registry and the OS wont work

get a imaging software such as norton ghost, and then make an image of that partition, and then put it onto that other partition you want to boot from. it should work

Do exactly what borat said if you want to put a image of your OS and keep all off your existing files on it as well. I would recommend Norton ghost 2003 if you can get hold of it or try Acronis imaging software although i have never used it much so i cant vouch for it.
Depending on how full your hdd is you can back it up to a partition or burn it to a CD/DVD or save it in an external hdd, If you want to put it on a partition and you don't have one use PARTITION MAGIC 8 to partition your hdd. its very simple to do and extremely reliable.

Back
Top Bottom