video glitchy in vista

Ok that's the give away we've been looking for. When playing videos on a pc the player becomes resource intensive. If you're short on ram or have a slow processor then you're going to run in to the jitters or lock ups.
Look in the tool bar over by the clock and see how much you have running in the background. When playing a dvd you may want to kill a lot of what's sitting there. And the quick starts on the other end of the tool bar over by the start button. Even though they're not open they still jam up ram and resources.
Now as for the ram as you plan to up it. Baby steps don't get it. You don't have to have Kingston ram or really any of the high dollar ram cards to get great performance. Check these folks out. www.intrex.com
I use one of the 512 ram cards for my laptop and for 60 bucks US I got a good little card. Purrs like kitten. You need at least a gig of the fastest ram you're board will handle. I have a feeling you're using a slower than max to save money. You're call. But in the end you're going to have a bunch of useless cards laying about as you add new ones in in baby steps. Save up you're money and get one or two of the ones you really need.

I just checked the site and what cost me 59.99 is now 39.99. Better jump on those prices.

this is what's running in the taskbar, not alot of stuff. There is one process though that is always using some processor% and when I play videos the video player uses about 30% and it uses the rest dwm.exe

edit: do you think the processor would be a problem also or is that just because that dwm process always uses alot during video playback?

The processor is the Athalon xp in your sig, correct? If so then it's possible. After all, that's not the fastests processor. However, i think RAM and/or video card is the bigger problem.

I'd have to think it's the ram since it's less than 1gb. I'm running Vista Ultimate with 2 gb of ram with p4 3.2 and Nvidia FX5500 (same as Mikee286) with no issues during video / dvd playback. Granted, Vista rates my machine as only a 2.6 (everything else rates 4.0 or higher), but that is due to a weak video card ... however, as I said ... no issues during playback.

What are the individual ratings of each component of your pc? I.E. Video card, memory, hard drive ....

It could be the CPU. My Athlon 1333 isn't the best either. It's extremely slow in games, while in XP, it's fast. My Duron is not worth mentioning yet.

The best CPU yet would be a 2600+, and if your board supports FSB333, then I guess you're good. The 266FSB, like mine will be ouchy.

and where can i get a 2600? I can't find athlon xps anywhere anymore.

score is

Processor 2.8
ram 3.4
graphics 2.9
gaming graphics 2.6
primary hard disk 5.3

Back
Top Bottom