Advice on new desktop pc

crgrjj

Baseband Member
Advice on new desktop pc..

Hello guys,

Just wondering if some of you could give an advice on what desktop pc would be best for me accordingly to my needs. I wanna buy a good quality pc but don't wanna spend money where I don't need to, i.e, best video card, processor type, windows system ( xp or vista), etc..

I do a lot of work on Office 2003, will use it mortly for music, video, internet, burn cd's and dvd's as well as occasionally use it for gaming. I have a decent knowledge of computer but there are so many different options out there.

I hear that Toshiba and Dell make the best lap tops, any truth to that ans does it apply for desktops as well? I even have a Toshiba Satellite, but honestly I'm not very happy with it. Since I purchased a year ago, the screen occasionaly goes dark and I have to turn it off and on which is a pain since I'll lose all the unsaved work. Anybody knows the cause of it?

Thank you so much in advance!!

do you want to build one? or do you prefer a manufactured one... once i know that i can help ya much more

kyle

Kyle,

It would be a manufactured one. I never built a computer. Should I give it a try on building one, is it too complicated? I once installed a pci wireless card on one of my old desktops, but that's all I've done.

Thanks!

It's a pretty common oppinion around here that building your own gets a better bang for your buck. Not only that, but it's a great learning experiance. It's not too hard to do. If a plug doesn't fit in where you want it to go, it doesn't go there. just read the manual on your motherboard for what goes where and you are set.

I'll look for prebuilts for you, and even build your own stuff if you want, once i get a price limit. I would also need to know if that price limit includes a moniter, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

I have to say the only complex part in building your own PC is the actual wiring part (the wires from the case to your motherboard). I mean, if you follow the motherboard manual "very" carefully, it's not problem at all. But everything else is "plug and play" to put it in simple terms. It's great building your own PC because you have total control and customization of what parts go into your computer. Let me tell you that building a high performance pC is sooo much cheaper than buying one retail (for high performance PC that is). For budget PCs, I always recommend just buying one from Dell.

Most of the members here can compile a pretty darn good list of compatible parts for you, if you want to build your own PC.

My budget is $700. But I could go more, if it is excellent quality. I have a Sony Vaio flat screen monitor from an old desktop so myabe I wouldn' need to get a new one.

Kyle,

It would be a manufactured one. I never built a computer. Should I give it a try on building one, is it too complicated? I once installed a pci wireless card on one of my old desktops, but that's all I've done.

Thanks!

if you wanted to try building one yourself, all of us around here look for parts that will work flawlessly with each other and give you great performance, also we all have pretty good knowledge of building pc's seeing as though most of us have built at least one if not more so we can certainly help you through every little step of the process, but as far as manufactured pc's go i would go with HP, i have had dells and frankly i am tired of their service, and they charge too much, but i configured a pc from HP it is as follows...

PROCESSOR: amd 4000 x2 2.1ghz
RAM: 2gb
HD: 160gb
DVD-Rom: Lightscribe (lets you literally burn an image onto the front of a cd for a label) DVD+RW
GRAPHICS: integrated 6500 le, will work fine for office and everyday computing, you can upgrade later if you want to go gaming
TOTAL: $709

thats a very nice pc, it will mutlitask great with dual core and the 2gb of ram, it doesnt have a monitor, didnt know if you needed one, but if you would like to give building a pc a shot, let us know, and we'll get started finding parts

kyle

Thanks Kyle, I might give it a try a mounting it myself. I hope it works out. Where can I get those parts? Would comp usa have them all. I was definitely looking to have a DVD -/+ RW dual layer and get a video card that would allow me to play Doom 3. And where could I get a manual to built it?

It's a little more than $700 (by about $70), but i think you'll like this:

HP a6050y series

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium (32-bit)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4300 (1.8GHz)

Memory 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)

Hard Drive 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive

Front Productivity Ports 2 USB, 1 FireWire IEEE 1394, audio ports

TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control

Graphics Card Integrated Intel(R) 950

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0

price $869.99 *
instant savings − $100.00

price after rebate $769.99
you saved 11.5%

Back