8800 GTX Preventing Post

taekwondodogoof

Baseband Member
Hi,
I've had a Nvidia 8800 GTX running in my computer for a while now. However, when I turn off my computer, and turn it back on, the screen will usually not respond and the BIOS will not post. However, The computer lights are on and the fans are spinning. When this happens, there usually is an accompanying loud whooshing sound. I have determined this to be coming from my 8800 GTX by stopping physically stopping its fan, and the sound is gone.
I usually fix this problem by turning off the switch on the back of them computer, wait about 30 seconds, switching it back on, then turning on the computer. This usually gets the computer to POST. On the power issue, I have a 600 Watt silverstone power supply.
Thanks for the help! :)

hmmmm
could be to things
turing off your powersupply to fix the problem might indicate your powersupply is not good so get a new one
but the sound from the graphics might mean its broken
im not really sure

Thanks for the advice! I'm leaning more towards the 8800 GTX being faulty at the moment, because I would think the rest of the computer would be affected if it was the power supply, not just the 8800 GTX.

what are the rest of your specs? Try re-seating both RAM and video card. I would personally run memtest on that as well.

Okay, I'll try taking out and putting back in the Video Card and RAM.
The Rest of my specs are-
E6600 Intel Core 2 Duo
8800 GTX
2GB Corsair RAM
150 GB 10,000 RPM Western Digital Hard Drive
Xtreme Music X-fi Sound Card
600 Watt Silverstone power Supply

I'll try running a memory test too!
Thanks for the help

Do you know what make and model your motherboard is? My biggest concern is if you have a 680i chipset and your Corsair RAM is of the Dominator Series. THis chipset and RAM tend not to get along with eachother.

Do you know what make and model your motherboard is? My biggest concern is if you have a 680i chipset and your Corsair RAM is of the Dominator Series. THis chipset and RAM tend not to get along with eachother.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3. It's a G965 chipset.

bad card to test this theory
if u have an old video card throw it in and see if it will work
pci card will work if u dont have a pci exspress card

Back
Top Bottom