Chkdsk

Why do you keep installing 98 before XP? Is it coz you have an upgrade disc? If it is then you do realise that you can do a clean install of XP with your upgrade disc. All you do is stick the 98 disc in during installation of XP to verify that you have a 98 disc.

will do, But now the comp is really screwed, it is n't starting up it says that a system file is missong or corrupt and prompt to restart.

well now when I formated and reinstalled the comp said the system file is not able to be copied. then It said something like this CD could be invalid?!?! I have used it before just fine, Could a bad HDD be doing this? I don't want to buy a new OS when I could buy a 30$ HD.

when i can't copy files durring an XP install it has been due to three things. I'll list them in order from most occuring to least with percentages:
Bad hard drive 85%
Bad ram 13%
Bad CD 1%
other 1%

I'm willing to bet its your drive.

sounds like the hdd is screwed then. you can try installing ME if you want although i dunno if it will work. it also looks like the bad sector repairers wont be of much use unless you find a bootable one. tbh i recon your best off getting a hard drive from newegg.

well now when I formated and reinstalled the comp said the system file is not able to be copied. then It said something like this CD could be invalid?!?! I have used it before just fine, Could a bad HDD be doing this? I don't want to buy a new OS when I could buy a 30$ HD.
Is this happening during the copy process from the CD? If it is, then it could be a bad CD, is it a copy? It could also be the CD drive, if you have more than one optical drive in the computer, then try using the other one.

You could also goto the HDD manufacturers website and download their diagnostic tools to test the HDD.

And try memtest on the RAM to see if thats the culprit.

well, I thmk It may be a bad CD, fully installed ME with a restore disk, updated drivers and sso far no probs, I keep posted on any probs f its the HDD i'll just replace. When I installed the drivers for the integrated picked the "best" the comp had, I got the drivers from the site too try and replace it and It took, now it claims to dreivers are running and I need to delete the others. I also can't get it of 16 color any ideas?

If its stuck on 16 colours then you mustnt have the graphics drivers installed (check device manager to confirm this). You should be to get them from the manufacturers website.

Back
Top Bottom