onboard graphics

slyfirth

Solid State Member
hi
does anyone no if you disable the onboard graphics.
will the memory for the onboard graphics be disabled has well?
cheers

if you disable the onboard graphics, the memory it uses will be freed to main system memory. Onboard graphics share a portion of main memory to operate, so disabling it will simple just free it up.

yes, most of the time (if not always) onboard video cards use your ram as memory. Disabling the card will free ram since the card isn't using it anymore.

I believe most newer boards automatically disable it when it dectects a separate graphics card. other wise there usually an option in the BIOS.

^^THe only modern boards taht i have seen having a problem with that are dell's. For some reason i've never had a nice dell taht would just automatically detect the change when a new card is installed. Their XMS series or what ever the high end is is fine, but the low end demnsions and all that suck at it.

can't you go to device manager and right click and hit disable? will that remove it?

can't you go to device manager and right click and hit disable? will that remove it?
best off doing it from the bios as it will still be enabled everywhere except for in windows so it will still use ram (i think)

Ahhh, yes BIOS would be best, thought device manager disabled from start-up so power would still run to it?

Back
Top Bottom