Connect to 2 networks at a time

BrianS

In Runtime
Ok, when it comes to connecting to a network, I am fine with that, but when you throw in a second one I am out of my league. lol

Basically, I moved into a condo with a friend who already has a wireless network setup (802.11g). With my laptop, I have no problem connecting wirelessly to it. But this is where I am stuck. I have an older box that is running Ubuntu and Samba on it. I used to use it as a file server to hold backed up movies, my music, saved documents, pictures and other random stuff that I don't want to keep on my limited sized laptop hard drive. I have mapped it for my laptop so it is just a basic NAS that I can wireless connect to (or used to be able to connect to).

The current network is using a D-Link wireless router. I used to use a Netgear 802.11g router as well. What I am wondering is if it is possible to set up My Netgear router to act as a second wireless network so that I can be connected to both wirelessly, his for the internet, and mine for the NAS? I used to and would like to have my NAS connect to the Netgear router through a wired CAT5 cable and then be connected to the Netgear wirelessly but still be able to be connected to the D-Link for internet services.

Im not sure what to really do. But I want to be able to use his network for the internet, and then have my NAS only open to me. I just have a lot of files from work as well as school on there. I just don't want him to put random crap on there and screw with my method of storage.

Sorry this is long and drawn out but I am a little over my head here and from previous times coming here, you all have your heads on straight and have provided amazing help to me. I hope this will be the same.

Brian

If you are trying to connect both LANs together then I would recommend using a switch to combine the two networks.

I don't really want to connect them together. I just want to be able to access them both at the same time so that I don't have to disconnect from one network and connect to the other. But I want my NAS to be restricted so that only I can see it on the network though. And if I put the NAS on the other network that was already in place, my roommate could get to it.

Seems to me the best way to accomplish this would be to hardwire the Netgear Router to the roommate's router and have your Netgear's default gateway be the roommate's router lan ip address.
Roommate's routher = R1
NetGear = R2

R1 = LAN IP is 192.168.0.1 WAN IP = Public ISP IP
DHCP Range = 192.168.0.2-254
R2 = LAN IP is 192.168.15.1 WAN IP = 192.168.0.1 (R1 LAN IP)
DHCP Range = 192.168.15.2-254

Hardwire R2 to a free port on R1. This way you wont have to configure R2 with the same SSID and configuration as R1, like you would have to if you wanted to connect R2 to R1 wirelessly. Now you can create your unique SSID and config of R2, but have it route out to the internet via R1. Make sense?

Seems to me the best way to accomplish this would be to hardwire the Netgear Router to the roommate's router and have your Netgear's default gateway be the roommate's router lan ip address.
Roommate's routher = R1
NetGear = R2

R1 = LAN IP is 192.168.0.1 WAN IP = Public ISP IP
DHCP Range = 192.168.0.2-254
R2 = LAN IP is 192.168.15.1 WAN IP = 192.168.0.1 (R1 LAN IP)
DHCP Range = 192.168.15.2-254

Nicely written, nice theory.
Only problem I see with that theory is that you would have to turn off DHCP on the second router. Also, I would recommend cascading the router.

Cheers, cn22

I dont think you'd have to turn off DHCP on R2 because it has its own subnet. Which is what is needed if he wants to keep his file server and his pc separate from his roommate's, yet still get out to the internet. Good point on the cascading ... probably should use the internet port on R2 and plug it into a free LAN port on R1.

Of course, if his roommate was determined to see his NAS, all he'd have to do is plug into the Netgear with an ethernet cable. Probably should configure R2 with an exact number of addresses needed (2 = 192.168.15.2 - 3) enable MAC filtering and statically address each pc. If I remember right, I believe you can lock down in the router config which MAC address gets what IP address. Keep DHCP enabled so that you can also tell it only to allow 3 addresses for use ... Router LAN IP, PC IP, File Server IP.

I really wanted to be able to do it wirelessly somehow that way the modem and router can stay in the office, and i can keep my NAS in my room. But I doubt that is going to be a possibility even though they are both wireless routers.
:(

Back
Top Bottom