Slow startup

SlickRick15

Baseband Member
Hello i have just purchased a new 22" widescreen LCD monitor which is very nice by the way. Anyways, i hooked it up via DVI, and now i dont see anything when i turn on my computer until the WIndows login screen appears? Is there a reason for this? Also, it takes forever to even start to boot windows, before when i had my VGA CRT monitor, it would show the BIOS right away and then take 4-5 minutes before showing the Windows XP Screen where the loading bar is. This is really annoying as i am now hesitant to turn my computer off at night now. Please help!

hmm , have you changed any settings since installing the new monitor , what are the computers specs

I don't think it's much of anything to worry about, I could be wrong though. I have dual monitors, one is hooked up via DVI and the other is VGA. The DVI monitor always takes a bit longer to turn on, never had a problem though. Sometimes it does the thing you mentioned about not showing images until the windows login screen comes on. I've also considered that since I have a low end graphics card, that could be contributing to it. What kind of graphics card are you using?

Maybe someone will be able to provide a more exact answer, this is all just what i've found in my experience.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1.5GB RAM
Radeon X850 XT
I really dont think i have a high end computer, but i dont think specs are a problem for some reason.
I have also tried Checking the Windows files for integrity but that didnt fix it.
No settings have been changed. From what i recall this has happened since i reformatted last, then i added another hard drive, and took it back out yesterday to see if that was the problem, turns out it wasn't. If that has any significance? I really dont feel like reformatting again though as alot of songs are on here lol

Has this just started since the monitor change? Have you checked in the BIOS for settings that might be causing this?

As troy said. I think the DVI connection on your graphics card will be implimented in a more of a non-lagecy technology way and hence is likely to need windows to be up and running with the drivers triggering the activiation of the DVI port. The X850 graphics card series is getting old now and DVI was less common then as it was now.

I Don't think your gonna solve this one unless you change your graphics card, sorry.

Had this prob to, You probably had integrated grafs (AGP,PCI, PCI express)
and your new card is something diffrent, go to BIOS and Advanced tab, video configuration and primary video adapter and select the card type of the card the DVI is running from.
Hope it helps!!

hmm hows about your boot drive , how full is it did you defrag it what make/model is it , are there any strange noise you have never heard before

Back
Top Bottom