How do I burn it to a CD?

Lamilia

Solid State Member
I want to use mandriva Linux so I went to http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/mandrake/official/iso/2007.1/
and downloaded these files:
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso.md5
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso.md5.asc
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso.sha1
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso.sha1.asc
mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.lst

Now how do I burn them to a cd? I know I need to get a program to burn them as an image so I got deepburner but when you burn it as an image it only lets you burn one file to the cd. I got sick of cf.com not responding so I decided to come here and see if you can help me out. I will download a different burning program if I have to for you to give me instructions..i'm not very good at burning cds because I haven't done it much and I could probably figure it out but I'd rather not waste a ton of CDs while I'm figuring it out.

well did you just try burning one and then putting it in the computer? you should not have a bunch of ISO files, you should only have one.

i had the same problem with SUSE linux i only downloaded 1 file but wen i check my computer in the morning there is 5 ISO files and yet the web site instructs you to burn the 1 ISO file to a DVD disc ?? very confusing i tried burning them to 5 cd disks and half way through it said it needed disk 1 i tried the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th disc and it cudnt seem to find the data on n e of these so i ended up downloading ubuntu

i had the same problem with SUSE linux i only downloaded 1 file but wen i check my computer in the morning there is 5 ISO files and yet the web site instructs you to burn the 1 ISO file to a DVD disc ?? very confusing i tried burning them to 5 cd disks and half way through it said it needed disk 1 i tried the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th disc and it cudnt seem to find the data on n e of these so i ended up downloading ubuntu

copy /b iso1 iso2 outputiso

I have tried just that file before and it doesn't run. I must thank you though for the quick response...I've never seen this quick of a response. Sorry I forgot to list that in the files I downloaded. I would use bittorrent to download it if it weren't so slow because it downloads all the files i need.
EDIT: ok I'm going to try just the .iso again..If I don't take this out it worked and I thank you :)

I'm not familiar with this distro of linux, but after looking at the link you provided, it looks like you're downloading a bunch of files you dont need to. This distro has a dvd iso that is 4.3 g ... which is fairly big for linux. It looks like they have various versions of this mandriva-linux all jammed together on the dvd iso as an all-in-one ... or split out into several cd iso files of which you can download a particular version ... i.e. KDE, Gnome. Here are the files I think you should be downloading ... not all the ones you listed above (md5, sha).

i586 DVD - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso
64-bit - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-x86_64.iso

I think the following are break out standalone OS versions:
i586 - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-i586.iso
64 bit - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-GNOME-cdrom-x86_64.iso

i586 - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-i586.iso
64 bit - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-cdrom-x86_64.iso

i586 - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-one-KDE-extra-i18n-cdrom-i586.iso

Live CD ? - mandriva-linux-2007-spring-free-mini.iso

All those other files ... forget about 'em. If you notice on the link all those md5 and sha1 files are small in size ... the files I listed above are huge (690 mb or so each).

Then use a program like Nero to burn an ISO file to cd or dvd ... depending on which you use.

Personally if you have a dvd burner and high speed internet that you're willing to allow download all night ... I'd download the dvd iso you want rather than mess with all those individual cd iso's.

hah I figured it out! Thank you so much! Now all I need to know is what do I do when it says enter login and password..I havent created one yet. The first time I booted it said that and the second time it booted then loaded whatever it loads in the beginning and it looked like it was going to the DOS like black screen to ask me for my login and pass again but instead my monitor went on standby and nothing happened but my pc was still running. I'm going to go try again there will probably be another post by then because you people are awesome :p

ok I need help it keeps just going to a blank screen and the monitor shuts off...what do I do?
I tried just text version with no apci (whatever that means) and it said video input out of range...I have no idea what it means but when i press ctrl+alt+backspace it goes back to the cable disconnected thing so maybe its trying to do something.

sorry to triple post but I found out it actually said input signal out of range. Is there any other distro I could try? Maybe one that is better with ATI video cards because I heard most linux distros don't work well with ATI

Back
Top Bottom