Xeons...

CrackerJacker1

Daemon Poster
My dad always by Xeons for servers. I hear NO ONE on this site ever talk about xeon processors? How are these processors doing in that market? lol? Are xeons fast compared to the average proccessor? good for gaming?

they are designed for servers. I don't think there are too many home users that use Xeons, which is probably the reason why there is very little talk about them here.

Will they ever be for home comps? And what About AMD whats the latest I haven't heard alot on there latest processors at all.

Will they ever be for home comps? And what About AMD whats the latest I haven't heard alot on there latest processors at all.

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=3BDC9984-61E8-4F24-998F-E99736299B19
"Advanced Micro Devices has announced its first quad-core processor for desktops, which it is touting as superior to is counterpart from Intel. "

lots of varying views out there on the net. some think it's a stunner, others think it's not so great for the company

even if that does help AMD, it won't for long. An intel rep told me in feb that they expect to have an Oct-core out by feb of next year....

even if that does help AMD, it won't for long. An intel rep told me in feb that they expect to have an Oct-core out by feb of next year....

Well 2008 will be Intels unveiling of Nehalem, AMD is going it's own way right now with it's Griffin processor. But you really have to consider, what on Earth are you going to do with eight cores? Unless it's priced absurdly cheap, it won't attract many customers, we can barely use two cores effectively, let alone four times that amount. AMD will do fine, so long as people need a company to compete and control Intel pricing, there will be a healthy AMD.

Well 2008 will be Intels unveiling of Nehalem, AMD is going it's own way right now with it's Griffin processor. But you really have to consider, what on Earth are you going to do with eight cores? Unless it's priced absurdly cheap, it won't attract many customers, we can barely use two cores effectively, let alone four times that amount. AMD will do fine, so long as people need a company to compete and control Intel pricing, there will be a healthy AMD.

very true. But we all know some poor sap will swallow the Oct-core just to have it. I would love to see though how the new AMDs will compare to the C2Ds. needless to say it could go both ways. I mean look at what the R600 was supposed to be.

At any rate i plan on another simple build a little after the new AMDs are released. I"m building it for my family and want the best bang for me buck on it, so i might as well wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom