can i put a new mainboard into a compaq/hp presario case?

tj84

Solid State Member
I have a compaq presario sr 1030nx case with fan- mother board/cpu has issues or died.

if i put in a similar replacement MB from our local PC parts store and new CPU/Ram will the thing work or is there some proprietary system just because it is a HP brand.

I do have the HP XP system CDs.

It's a nice little case but does only have a 250w power supply.
I guess I need to upgrade the power supply too for a new MB and CPU.

HP usually make their cases in such a way as to make it (intentionally) difficult to install a standard ATX mobo.

There should be no problem at all replacing the MB and PSU with regular run of the mill parts (ie; no fancy mega vidcards with weird space hogging cooling etc). It appears to be one of the better thought out HP/Comp designs of that time; ie-they decided to use a standard ATX rather than too much propietary guff.

The 250w PSU, it would be a good idea to upgrade, they are cheap enough and i presume yours has been burling away for 3/4 years, it'll need a break.

best of luck

Baa

I see that the power supply has a special connector to the MB that our other generic /home built systems don't have.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if that is the only difference ?

Or what the differences are.

Do you mean a new MB won't screw in or mount properly?

Ahh great thanks for the info :cool: - I will double check with the local store too - it's not open today.:(

Depends on the model type, but some of the HP cases only support microATX motherboards since the mountings are different.

Back
Top Bottom