Anyone Good At Chemistry?

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Is anyone good at Chemistry? I need someone to calculate the amount of gas in liters, 200 pounds (or 90.9 kilograms) of dry ice would produce.

Dry ice = frozen c02. Assume 25 degrees Celsius and 1 atmospheric pressure. All the information needed to do it is found on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C02

I just forget what the gas laws are and how to do them.

pv=nRT

v=nRT/P

n= 1065.91
R= 0.08205 (constant when using ATM)
T=298 (kelvin)
p=1

(1065.91 x 0.08205 x 298) / 1
= 26062.458819 liters

pv=nRT

v=nRT/P

n= 1065.91
R= 0.08205 (constant when using ATM)
T=298 (kelvin)
p=1

(1065.91 x 0.08205 x 298) / 1
= 26062.458819 liters

Thanks, and I know this isn't exactly a chemistry question. But do you think this is enough dry ice to fill up a large building?

Yes, it probably would. At 25c it wouldn't be dry ice-- it would still be carbon dioxide.

>.> Are you trying to poison a school by any chance?

It's for senior prank. Now that you showed me that example, i can run different calculations for different masses. Obviously I'm not going to be using 200 pounds knowing how much it would make. But the prank is that were going to go into my building overnight, rig a cage using pre-cut Plexiglas and iron l-sections along with some hinges for a door. Then inside suspend a block of dry ice over warm water to instantly sublimate when dropped, and it's rigged so if you open the door to the cage it drops, and if you disassemble it it drops. It's going to be rigged in the main lobby, so it'll be funny to see what is done about it.

EDIT: The melting rate of dry ice at room temperature is 5 pounds per hour, so were taking this into consideration.

EDIT EDIT: To the best of my knowledge c02 isn't poisonous unless at ridicolously large concentrations. While I won't be using 200 lbs, that would not be poisonous in an entire building.

Yeah, I see. It isn't a bad prank it'll definitely get school cancelled for the day. I hope you pull it off and don't get in trouble =D

Yeah, I see. It isn't a bad prank it'll definitely get school cancelled for the day. I hope you pull it off and don't get in trouble =D

Even if it doesn't, a foggy building would be cool. I also need to look into whether or not this mass amount of c02 could cause any damage to my building, because I don't want to brake anything.

Put it in the vent system :D

Hahaha.......... You couldnt see two feet in front of you with that much dry ice spewing out everywhere.

Man, I hope the seniors pull something good this year at my school, it was supposed to pulling the fire alarm like 5 time a day starting today but guess what? Nothing today :(, but lol its cost's our school like $1,000 or something like that everytime the fire department comes out on a false alarm lol. one time a kid took a lit cigarette with a piece of gum and stuck it under the smoke detector, and 5 min later while he was safely in his classroom the alarm went off! Good thinking :D

Back
Top Bottom