Chinese of Japanese?

That's true, but if he is into technology Japaneese would also be kinda big seeing as how some of the big-name companies are based there. Sony and Nintendo for example.

Depends. Considering that the majority of computer hardware manufacturers are based in Taiwan, Chinese is more important. Even companies like Microsoft, Hitachi, and HP are outsourcing to China and India.

I'm learning a new language, I just stopped learning German I didn't really like it that much and it's mostly because of the teacher I have to put up with for the next two years if I continue it. Anyway, I want to learn Chinese or Japanese but I'm not sure which, opinions?

The Chinese are likely to be the dominant world power, so learning it would be alot more useful

Japanese is a interesting language, but Chinese is realistically more important. With more companies outsourcing to China and India, language fluency is becoming a very big factor when companies are hiring employees.

Of course, it really depends what interests you most. Like Celegorm said, choose the language that you find more interesting. It's no use learning a language you're not interested in, because you simply won't learn it as well.
I completely agree with that.
Personally, I'd learn Chinese not just for the above reasons, but also because around my area there's a quickly growing Chinese population, and a very very small Japanese population.

Right now I'm thinking about starting out with a software program, has anyone used or heard of Rosetta Stone? Anyone know of any good or better ones out there I should look into? I'm still undecided of which to take, but I'm trying to look more into it.

Well you really need to get your mind set on one and keep going at it, even though there are some similarities between the written language speech is entirely different. You also really have to commit to learning the language since it isn't like german where it still uses a romanized alphabet, writing traditional and even simplified chinese is entirely different and difficult to understand. Most chinese adults over at this chinese school that I volunteer at can't even recite the chinese 'alphabet' in order, it's tough. Just putting that out there.

I'm going with Japanese, it seems more interesting and most of the people I've talked to said it is more fun.

Back
Top Bottom