Is it OK to apply CPU 'Thermal Grease' to my GPU heatsink?

It should be okay if you're applying it on the GPU die itself. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, you could short out the memory if you use Arctic Silver 5 on the video card's RAM.

YEah, you put that in ANYWHERE other than the GPU top, you seriously screw it over. I have made a few mistakes applying the paste, all were fixed though before I started it up!I have heard people destroying there comps from crossing over coricuits on there mobo and frying it.

Right, I should be getting this thermal compound very shortly now ;)

and would just like to clarify on the last two posts .. so put it inbetween the GPU and the heatsink, absolutely anywhere else is a no-no...

And I should only use a small amount right in the middle of the heatspreader right?

Disappointing :(

Hasn't reduced it in temperature 1 fucking degree.

Perhaps I have to wait?

You know what, I'm just going to tell exactly how I did it incase something went wrong.

So as I excitedly opened up my envelope to find my little tube of silver anxiously winking at me saying "QUICK PUT ME ON!!!" - so I did. Taking out my graphics card, playing it in a soft-back book and began unscrewing the screws of the heatsick cover. Then unscrewing the the thing that looks like a square with arms sticking out over each corner. I then got a piece of toilet paper (serveral) and wiped away the grease from the heatsink. I then got a toothbrush to get all the little remaining bits out of the gaps. I then got cotton buds for the GPU and wiped the grease of that. I then applied a small blob in the middle of it, which as I was taking it away some of it spread out a little, but that shouldn't matter. I then screwed everything back on, as tight as you can get with a screwdriver that isn't the precise size for each nail and plopped it safely back in. And thats that :|

Well do you have a fan attached?I had a crap fan from a old 400Mhz comp, attached to heatsink and it droped the temp impressively! I used paste in the CPU of another comp and I had to reapply a few times before it started to decrease the temp , you need to FULLY cover the top of the GPU to completly cool it.

Well do you have a fan attached?I had a crap fan from a old 400Mhz comp, attached to heatsink and it droped the temp impressively! I used paste in the CPU of another comp and I had to reapply a few times before it started to decrease the temp , you need to FULLY cover the top of the GPU to completly cool it.

Well the fan I have sucks the air in at the front of the graphics card through and past the heatsink and out the end. Just like it should. And okay on the whole applying it even more, although I hate taking that stuff apart :(

I do to but if you have more practice andd cover te entire surfdace it should work alot better. MY AMD was not FULLY contacting the heatsink just fully cover it, put a nice payer on it but not so much it flows over ths sides.

I do to but if you have more practice andd cover te entire surfdace it should work alot better. MY AMD was not FULLY contacting the heatsink just fully cover it, put a nice payer on it but not so much it flows over ths sides.

Alright, thanks. It says on the guide somewere that it takes 200 hours for the silver particles to do their thing and reach maximum conductivity, but I doubt that'll make up 5 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom