Really chuffed

I've just remembered, I have a small photo of my mother aged around 18, in a punt with another girl, this must have been just before she met & married my father in WW1, a handsome man. who was in the RFC, the Royal Flying Corps, forerunner of the RAF, the Sopwith Camel, a biplane, was the Spitfire of it's time I believe, reaching speeds of about 200mph, amazing at that time, I'm not sure, but I think that it was one of these that finally shot down the Red Baron.

^^if that kind of plane didn't shoot down the Baron, it atleast helped in the sinking of the Bismark in WWII.

^^if that kind of plane didn't shoot down the Baron, it at least helped in the sinking of the Bismark in WWII.
Er sorry, it didn't, Sopwith's were biplanes & the machine gun was timed to fire between the blades of the propellor & were out of production just ater WW1, you're a little mixed up I'm afraid Dan.

Er sorry, it didn't, Sopwith's were biplanes & the machine gun was timed to fire between the blades of the propellor & were out of production just ater WW1, you're a little mixed up I'm afraid Dan.

I can see how you'd think that, but they had a thing on the History channel here a week ago about the sinking of the Bismark and they mentioned how they used them to harras the Bismark while the ships manuvered.

Woweeee!!,
dance.gif
no wonder your gran nearly fainted!, was it always her house, or might it be that the previous owner stashed the cash, how old are the coins, that'd give you a clue, they might be worth more than their face value, don't do anything with them until you've had them checked out by an expert!!!

They weren't very old coins they where recent but it turned out she had an idea he was hiding things but could never figure out what it was but hey shes not complaining:D

I found a pretty old hockey stick the other day in the closet. Signed by the entire Buffalo Sabres team from back when Lindy Ruff (the current coach) played. Could be sold for a lot if the Sabres go all the way..

I can see how you'd think that, but they had a thing on the History channel here a week ago about the sinking of the Bismark and they mentioned how they used them to harras the Bismark while the ships manuvered.
Very unusually the History Channel got it wrong, there were definitely no Sopwiths existing in 1941 when the Bismarck was sunk, they were last used in 1918, the year WW1 ended, 23 years earlier, the ones that weren't scrapped, fell to pieces on the runways they were last flown from, the aircraft that strafed the Bismarck was the Fairey Swordfish, about eight of them, returning to our aircraft carriers to refuel & rearm with a half-ton torpedo each, their profile was slightly similar to the Sopwith,but larger & a lot heavier, the Swordfish first flew in 1934, & squadrons of them carried out many engagements in WW2, mainly the sinking of hundreds of U boats, it was the big guns of our warships that eventually sank her.
I was 12 in 1941 when the Bismarck was sunk, & remember it to this day, I had a newspaper cutting on it for ages.

looking online i guess i had mixed up the facts. History channel compaired the swordfish to the Sopwiths at the time and the swordfishes carried out the attack. For some reason, i only remembered them mentioning the name sopwith. My mistake.

looking online i guess i had mixed up the facts. History channel compaired the swordfish to the Sopwiths at the time and the swordfishes carried out the attack. For some reason, i only remembered them mentioning the name sopwith. My mistake.
That's OK, about 20 years ago, I worked with a guy who piloted them, he was saying one day in the war that they were flying very slow due to a headwind, as he was trying to land on the deck of the aircraft carrier, & he radioed the ship to slow down so he could land, he was a jokey guy.

Back
Top Bottom