where to start

staygold

Solid State Member
i'm am interested in learning a programming language, but i don't know which one to start with, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could tell me what the different ones are aimed at.

to be more specific it would help if you had said how much time you have to spend, and what you plan on using your skills on.

Personally to a beginner i would recomend C++ as this is a very widely used langauge, and is the back bones to a lot more langauges (example is java and C#).

C++ was my second ever langauge (i learnt VB6 first), buh C++ is a lot better trust me, it is very productive, good fun to beat and sets yourself a very good challenge!

PS. I was talking about the ANSI\ISO C++ not CLR, as CLR is just the .NET extension of C++.

I have to disagree with starting with C or C++. Sure it's an excellent programming language, however, IMO something a little bit easier to crasp would work better in the long run. Just my two cents.

// Hello World in C++ (pre-ISO)

Code:
#include <iostream.h>

main()
{
    cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
    return 0;
}

or

Code:
# Hello World in Python
print "Hello World"

Which looks like it would be simpler to understand for someone starting off with programming.

Even VB6.

Hello World in Visual Basic 6

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
Print "Hello World"
End Sub

i'm am interested in learning a programming language, but i don't know which one to start with, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could tell me what the different ones are aimed at.

What experience do you have? perhaps starting with HTML just to get you off the ground and move to JavaScript after than and maybe perl, php etc

Honestly C/C++ are very difficult languages to learn if you have no prior experience. I would recomend to start with visual basic and develop some very easy Windows App's.

Hi

I like it you are interested in learning in programing language but programing language basic is C language to you are first learn to C language to your easy after learning programing language and after all something to contact here.

Regards,
MarketRaise Corp
marktraise@marketraise.com

I would recommend BASIC (old, but still good) or Visual basic. Both are pretty easy to pick up and don't have 1000s of things that could go wrong with one "simple" line of code.

Python is a great language to use for a beginner and can be quite powerful when you dig pretty deep into after you get going.

Back
Top Bottom