Using 2 rotuors to boost the signal

Fisher

Fully Optimized
My friend has a Bt home hub. he can only get a very poor signal from it in his room. ive just been given a netgear dg834G rotuor and was wondering if there was anyway that i could use the netgear as a booster/repeater for the home hub. is there any way that i could connect them with a crossover cable or just hook them up by wireless?

so how would it work then? i would plug the croosover cable into the home hub into ethernet port 1? and then do the same for the netgear?

yeah assuming the bt home hub has more than 1 ethernet port u just plug the cross over cable into 1 of the ports as if it was going to a pc then plug the other end into your netgear router

Don't need a crossover cable. And a second router really won't do any good.
Best advice I can give you is too use high gain antennas.
But if you want to give it a go, it's real simple. Plug one end of a regular cable in to the main router. Plug the other end in to the remote router. Ok now the fun part. Plug another cable in to the remote router and the other end in to a computer. This is just temporary to program the remote router. Go in the programing and disable the DHCP. Just on the second router. Leave it on on the main. After you're done setting it up take the router to computer cable out and let it rip.

could you explain that DHCP part i ve had a look through the netgear rotuor settings but cant seem to find it. also by regular cable do you mean a normal ethernet cable?

In the router programming you'll see a selection either for DHCP or general set up. In either case disable the DHCP. The main router is going to control who gets what IP address. The second router is just tapping off the main.
Ok now as for the cable Yes I meant a regular network cable. Go from one of the four ports on the main to one of the four ports on the remote router. Don't plug it where the modem would go cause it doesn't work that way.
If you're going to do this get a long cable and put one router on one side of the room and the remote on the other.
I've linked two routers together so I know the concept is sound. Just didn't have a decent laptop at the time to check wireless coverage. In my case I needed more hardwire ports.

Back
Top Bottom