DHCP Release - Uh oh what did I do?!

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
I am using the Linksys WRTP54G Vonage Router with 2 ports

I was in the admin panel and when I was in Status->Router I accidentally selected DHCP Release. Since then my connection has been on and off depending on what computers are on or off. Well my main desktop has lost its static IP address and now a lot of stuff doesn't work including my firewall. I can only browse the internet if I turn ZoneAlarm off. Also my slsk and azureus quit working which is obviously due to the lack of static IP because that's how port forwarding works.

Please help me get back my static IP. When I go to places like whatsmyip it says a unique IP address that is not my static one, but when I go run->cmd->ipconfig /all it says my static IP. What is going on?! in ipconfig /all it says DHCP enabled - no and I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be a yes although I'm not sure how to fix it. Please help and quick being connected to the internet without my firewall is scaring me!

Please help me get back my static IP. When I go to places like whatsmyip it says a unique IP address that is not my static one, but when I go run->cmd->ipconfig /all it says my static IP. What is going on?! in ipconfig /all it says DHCP enabled - no and I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be a yes although I'm not sure how to fix it. Please help and quick being connected to the internet without my firewall is scaring me!

When you go to www.whatismyip.com what IP address does it detect? Also, can you please do a cut & paste of the output from the command prompt when you issue ipconfig /all?

What was your *original* static IP address? Also, why not just configure everything back they way it was? See if this helps, log into the router, go to the status tab, click router, now hit Release DHCP then Renew DHCP.

When you go to www.whatismyip.com what IP address does it detect? Also, can you please do a cut & paste of the output from the command prompt when you issue ipconfig /all?

What was your *original* static IP address?

It currently says: Your IP Is 68.229.54.93
Whereas I believe it should say: Your IP Is 192.168.15.100
ipconfig /all:
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GameComputer
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-58-3E-09-DE
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1

Also, why not just configure everything back they way it was? See if this helps, log into the router, go to the status tab, click router, now hit Release DHCP then Renew DHCP.
Because I'm not exactly sure how it was configured before. DHCP Release put everything to 0s and DHCP Renew put it back to the 68.x's.

Edit: in fact everything appears to be the same as before the only thing that has changed is the Status page and my IP. So I wouldn't know what to change "back to the way it was." The only person I could ask is my dad becuase he had some IT guy from his work come and set up all our crap. But I'm trying to fix it now since he wont be available for a while now.

It currently says: Your IP Is 68.229.54.93
Whereas I believe it should say: Your IP Is 192.168.15.100
ipconfig /all:

If it detects your IP address as 68.229.54.93 then the website is working correctly. Meaning, it will not detect the *private IP addresses* such as:

1. class a 10.x.x.x

2. class b 172.x.x.x

3. class c 192.x.x.x

it is made to detect WAN IP addresses (For example, 68.229.54.93) not LAN IP addresses. (For example, 192.168.1.15)

But even with things like sigs such as the one at danasoft, it used to say the class C and now it says my WAN address. and also in ipconfig /all it still says DHCP enabled.....no and it needs to say yes

is there any way to do this without having to set up the entire thing all over again?

When you log into the GUI for your Linksys router does it say DHCP server enabled or disabled?

My guess would be that your NIC in network connections the properties of it, specifically TCP/IP Properties have everything set to static.

Back
Top Bottom