balancing equations

hascet

Fully Optimized
I need a thorough breakdown on how to balance equations for instance:

Magnesium nitrate and sodium hydroxide are added together to create a double replacement chemical reaction.

A) Write the balanced equation for this reaction. This is where I need help, because I don't know how to balance the equation lol!

Mg(NO3)2 + NaOH --> MgOH + Na(NO3)2

You simply switched the anions and cations. AX + BY -> AY + BX

Ya I know it double replacement, but where do you get the numbers from like, (NO3)2? Where does the two come from?

You should be able to form ionic compounds. The (NO3)2 is Nitrate, and the Mg is magnesium.

Edit: I guess I should make that more clear. When you form ionic compounds, the charges have to match. Mg has a plus charge of 2, while Nitrate (NO3) has a minus charge of only 1, therefore you double it so they match (thats where the two comes from). You use parentheses when multiplying polyatomic ions like Nitrate to show that all of it is being doubled, not just the last element.

Oh ok, now I get it, I just needed to know about how to double it cause I knew that Mg was +2, and NO3 was -1, I just couldn't figure out how to make them equal thanks :D

No problem. If you have anymore chemistry questions you can ask me-- I'm pretty good :eek:

Man, I learned all of this last year, I can barely remember most of it, but double replacement/single replacement/synthesis was relatively easy. Biggest hassle was just remembering the charges, balancing them afterwards was pretty fun actually.

Man, I learned all of this last year, I can barely remember most of it, but double replacement/single replacement/synthesis was relatively easy. Biggest hassle was just remembering the charges, balancing them afterwards was pretty fun actually.

did u actually have to memorize the charges for the whole periodic table..(even transition metals)?

did u actually have to memorize the charges for the whole periodic table..(even transition metals)?

Well, you rpretty much do since you use them so much, but my teacher lets us use our periodic tables for tests/quizzes. But in class today my teacher said this was how the equation was balanced:
Mg(No3)2+2NaOH -> Mg(OH)2+2NaNO3

The easiest thing in chem is the orbitals I love doing those, cause its so easy

yeah i pretty much know all the common ones, but still there's the ones you rarely use. my favorite part of chemistry was balancing, it was pretty fun. this year it was 'physical science' with chemistry/physics. then next year i'm taking biology 1st semester and chemistry 2nd semester (block schedule)

Back
Top Bottom