running two routers at once? help

gman121388

Solid State Member
Ok current i have a dlink 4 port router....is it possible to connect from one of the ports another router so i can run internet to more computers??? ive tried changin my ip address (which someone told me) on the computer and things its just not working can anyone help me out...if u dont understand my question just ask and ill try to explain it better

can you post a pic of the back and I can tell you what to plug what into.It should be that there are 4 ports and You can simply add a new cable to each port and run that to every computer (4) and It work fine.

yes i know that lol....i have that 4port router wit 4 computers already hoooked up to it.,...i have another 4 port router that i want to run off of one of the ports coming from the first router....wen i connect it as so it connects to the network just fine but i can not get internet access.....better?

You can theroretically do this, however I recomend purchasing a switch. In a standard setup you should only have 1 router per house

yea well could u possibly run me through settin up the two routers.,,,,if not how would i set up a switch wit a router or w.e.

Ok current i have a dlink 4 port router....is it possible to connect from one of the ports another router so i can run internet to more computers??? ive tried changin my ip address (which someone told me) on the computer and things its just not working can anyone help me out...if u dont understand my question just ask and ill try to explain it better

Why not buy a router with more ports on it? Instead of a 4 port router maybe look into 8 or even 16 port router (if needed). You can setup two routers for you're home network however, I don't recall *DLINK* having an option to do this on the back of their units.

I know you can do this with LINKSYS routers/switches etc.... not to sure about DLINK though. I will double check with my homeboy on this...

Quick question for gman, what is the exact model of your dlink router also the firmware version on the bottom of the unit? Thanks, 0x0161

I think if you use a crossover cable (since the standard patch doesnt seem to be workin quite right) from one of the switches on the first router, and plug that into the input (where a DSL/cable modem would normally plug in) on the second router, then it might work.

Just take a normal Ethernet cable and plug it into the first router where you would plug a computer in and plug the other into the WAN port on the new router. If that doesn't work then you have a bad cable.

I have my house wired that way to give everyone a good wireless signal and it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom