Give the dirty basics about routers!

NeXuS1

Fully Optimized
Ok I need to get a new router to have internet for my 2 computers what do I need, oh and I have cable internet. Give me info on wireless internet because I dont know anything about routers and that stuff.

Do you want wireless or not??

Basically, you set it up like this:
*Internet* > Cable Modem > Router > Computers

If you just want wired, you can get a wired router relatively cheaply, plug both the computers in using regular CAT5 cables, and be set. You probably should get a wireless router anyway though, you might want it in the future.

If you want wireless, it's the same setup, but obviously instead of connecting the CAT5 cables, you have to buy a wireless adapter for the computers. Pretty much all wireless routers have ports for wired connections too, as that's generally where you do the setup.

For wireless, you'll want to set up some kind of encryption too so people aren't using your internet or accessing your computers.

This is a good relatively cheap wireless router:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

Were do I get the adapters wireless PCI cards or what I dunno nothing about these area im stupid. As far as router what do you recommend I dont have price, but not to the extreme :). Does routers suck for online gaming?

I'd recommend this for a decently priced wireless router:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

There are a few different wireless types, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n are the most common. The 802.11 is just a code used by the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) for Wi-Fi. Sort of like Firewire is sometimes called IEEE 1394.

The range of 802.11g is about 35 meters indoors. Obviously, walls and other things may obstruct the signal. Also note that the frequency of the signal is 2.4 GHz, so if you have any cordless phones or anything make sure they're not set at that frequency to prevent interference.

802.11g is the most used right now. It goes up to 54 Mbps. It's not the fastest, but it's more than enough for most people. 802.11n is the fastest at I think 270 Mbps, and has a bit longer range.

Wireless adapters can connect to your computer through PCI, USB, or a regular ethernet cable.

I have this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130111
It's great for a pretty inexpensive solution. Small, fast, and gets a good signal. Works with Ubuntu and Vista too, which is always a plus.

I got a 3com 3crwdr100-a72 about 18months ago and am very pleased with it,I got it on EBUYER with a free usb wireless adapter, since then I added a pci card and run it of LAN as running wireless tended do disconnect an reconnect all the time which was a pain as I use peer2 peer. the good thing i like with this router is it has FOUR ports which can run up to 10 computers each so i could run 40 but that would be ridiculous now!!!.
It is rigged up to my desktop and i run 2 wireless laptops of it no problem, one next door and one upstairs with no connection problems what so ever.
I also like the fact that you can save your settings so if you ever format you drive you are always still connected so setting up my INTERNET is an absolute doddle. reinstall windows and I'm good to go.

Ok I get it I would like the 802.11n I want good range so here is the router I liked: Is it good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124085

And as far as wireless adapters isnt it better for the adapter to be a PCI card than a USB interface?
Yeah, that's a pretty good one. Relatively inexpensive, and easy to use.

It shouldn't matter with USB vs. PCI. The max speed of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, and the max speed of 802.11n is only 270 Mbps. And 270 is the max data rate, you would most likely never see that in real life.

Woah that thing has a lot of reviews is it better than the one I selected?

Yeah the WRT54GL's are nuts, I have used about 8 or so with the DD-WRT operating system and not a single problem.

For my main router I use a more expensive router however, but for wireless access I use WRT54GL's :)

Back
Top Bottom