diagnosing a problem

jaybird333

Beta member
Hi guys! A few days ago I was playing some games on my computer, and I went to plug something into my usb port, when all of a sudden my computer shut down. I looked into the back of the computer to checkout the usb port and noticed that it was badly damaged. The wires were just hanging loosely inside the port. So, I tried to boot my computer back up to no avail :( Everything sounded like it was booting up ok (the psu turned on, the fans turned on, the mobo had a signal in the LED display) However, I started taking out my hardware one by one and everytime I tried to boot I noticed that my mobo had the same signal on the LED display. So then I thought my mobo had fried. I recently ordered one from a local store, hooked everything up, everything started up just fine(my psu, fans) then I couldn't get a display. Now i'm thinking that my video card has fried or something. I noticed that the fan on the card is still working though. I was wondering if you guys could be so kind to help me diagnose this problem. I don't know if I should go ahead and order a new video card, or what to do :confused: My specs are as follows: amd 64 3200+(stock cooler), evga nforce 4 sli mobo, 7800gt, 2x512mb corsair value select ram, ocz 650 psu, soundblaster audigy 2 zs soundcard, 3xsata hard drives. Thanks in advance for your help.

well the easiest way would be to see if a friend or someone has a vidoe card you can test in your machine and see if the works then, that way your not spending money for no reason. Other that that if theres a local shop nearby (you said in your post you ordered from one) take your video card down there and see if they can test it real quick. if that doesn't work, or you cant do either of them I dunno what else to say.

It does seem like a video card issue though.

*update* I just tried swapping all of my memory sticks in and out, including working sticks from another computer(yes, they're compatible with this board)and I still can't seem to get a display. I'm going to be going over to a comp shop tomorrow Bob. I hope they'll test my video card free of charge :confused: I've already wasted cash on buying a new mobo :( Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom