Question on my RAM.

cory551

Baseband Member
Hey, I already have 1 gig of ram (512mbx2). I just bought another gig of ram, only one stick of it. I was wondering if it would be okay to just put in that one stick or do I need to pair it. I have an extra 256mb ram stick, could I pair the 1 gig stick with that, and is it alright to leave it alone?

Thanks.

you should be able to use the 1gb and a 512mb if they are the same spec example 512 =pc3200 and the 1gb =pc3200. and they are both ddr or ddr2 or sdram

Yeah, leaving it alone is ok. THe only true down side is if your current ram is running in dual channel, you will lose that capibility. But everything else will still work.

Yeah it's fine, but you will lose dual channel, and it will only run as fast as the slowest speed..

But honsetly, I find little peformance from Dual channel to regular. If you have your gig, put it in, and if your 256MB is spare, put it in too.

Hold on a minute...how many RAM slots does your board have?

But honsetly, I find little peformance from Dual channel to regular. If you have your gig, put it in, and if your 256MB is spare, put it in too.

Hold on a minute...how many RAM slots does your board have?

I have four. I was hoping that I could pair the gig with the 256 stick. If it doesn't work out, then il just have to save for another gig stick. Do you think it would work to pair the gig and the 266 together and get dual channel? If I can't get the dual, would it even be worth it to just run them all under the regular channel?

Once you put in the stick of a gig of ram, you wont have dual channal. The 1 gig and 256 will not work, it needs to be either 1 gig and 1 gig, or 256 and 256. Also, is all the ram your talking about from the same company?

Back
Top Bottom