Buying new memory. Which is best?

james120479

Beta member
Hello, i was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. I'm looking to upgrade my memory to 2gb but i'm not sure the best to get or whether i can add to what i have.

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe S939 NF4 SLI ATX - Sound 2xgln 1394 USB2 SATA

And i already have 2 sticks of Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR RAM Non-Parity CL3,

now i was thinking of just adding another 1 gb of the same type to these 2 but i'm not sure if the memory i have is the best and may be better to get a fresh 2gb of something different

Any help would be great as i'm pretty clueless

Thanks
James

PNY, and Kingston are my favs, but I hear cosair is preety good and may be worth looking into.

Corsair, OCZ, Crucial are all very good brands, I also like Mushkin, but that isn't as popular around these parts, people on these forums usually lean toward Crucial or Corsair.
For a skt 939 I'd just get a 2x512 dual channel kit, right now DDR2 memory is basically cheaper than DDR memory, so I really don't see a point in paying extra for outdated tech.

Corsair, OCZ, Crucial are all very good brands, I also like Mushkin, but that isn't as popular around these parts, people on these forums usually lean toward Crucial or Corsair.
For a skt 939 I'd just get a 2x512 dual channel kit, right now DDR2 memory is basically cheaper than DDR memory, so I really don't see a point in paying extra for outdated tech.

IIRC, DDR2 are 240 pin and DDR are 184 pin, DDR2 won't fit his mobo unless he has a mobo that supports both...

IIRC, DDR2 are 240 pin and DDR are 184 pin, DDR2 won't fit his mobo unless he has a mobo that supports both...

Yeah... I'm aware of that, sorry if I wasn't clear in my above post, I just read it and I can see where you would get the idea that I thought he should get DDR2 RAM, anyway, I meant he shouldn't go crazy on a 2x1GB kit for DDR RAM since DDR2 is cheaper right now he should just conserve his money and save up for a new computer in the future that uses DDR2.

Yeah... I'm aware of that, sorry if I wasn't clear in my above post, I just read it and I can see where you would get the idea that I thought he should get DDR2 RAM, anyway, I meant he shouldn't go crazy on a 2x1GB kit for DDR RAM since DDR2 is cheaper right now he should just conserve his money and save up for a new computer in the future that uses DDR2.

true, there are also some good, cheap mobos out there (especially open box) that could be bought with the money saved by what you were suggesting, if that's a route he's willing to take...

like you said, decent DDR2 has been very affordable lately, there have been some great deals on Newegg...

Thank you for your replies, think i may go for a fresh 2gb and found this Crucial 2x1GB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 Non-ECC Unbuffered. Does this seem ok and should it fit my motherboard alright?

Thank you for your replies, think i may go for a fresh 2gb and found this Crucial 2x1GB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 Non-ECC Unbuffered. Does this seem ok and should it fit my motherboard alright?

Just run their scan on there website and it will tell you if it is compatible, i use crucial ram pc3200 184 pin dimm Non EEC no problem.

It should work, but if you want to be sure it will work check your motherboard manual to see the combatible ram.

Back
Top Bottom